Experian stall tactics

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by penguin, May 15, 2001.

1. penguin

penguin Well-Known Member

I sent a dispute letter to Experian a little over a month ago, disputing 5 accounts. They sent me a confirmation letter stating that they'll investigate within 30 days, blah blah blah.

Well, today, I got an updated report, two of the five accounts are deleted, but for the remaining 3 accounts, they claimed that they "are not quite sure what you are asking us"!! Oh, my God!

Okay, so I'm happy that 2 accts. were deleted, but,
    1) Shouldn't they have asked me to clarify my dispute, initially, when they sent me the confirmation letter stating that they will conduct an investigation on the accts. I disputed?
    2) In my dispute letter, I stated that "the following items are completely inaccurate and incomplete", then I listed all the accounts together. Evidently, they understood my reason of dispute for the two which were deleted but not for the rest, even though I made no distinctions between any of the five accounts.

They want me to call them, to state me reason of dispute. Any thoughts on this?

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

My guess is that they want to know WHY the following items were completely inaccurate and imcomplete. For example: Inaccurate as in the limits are wrong? Balance is wrong? Dates are off? Not your account? Etc. Then for imcomplete they would assume that the accounts were missing something? Like what? Limits not being reported? Etc.

When disputing info, you have to be a clear as possible in my opinion...as in NOT MINE or PAID BEFORE CHARGEOFF or LIMIT SHOULD BE XXX.....

3. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

But Penquin said that the dispute letter said the same reason was listed for ALL the accounts being disputed, as inaccurate/incomplete, so if that reason is too vague then why would they even investigate 2 of the items? Since they did investigate 2 of them then why not the others for the same disputed reason? Could it be that they did send the disputes to the creditors and the creditors asked for more clarification? I don't belive it works that way but something is not making sense.

4. Squawk1200

Squawk1200 Well-Known Member

I've had similar experiences with Experian, and I do think that the request for "clarification" must come from the original creditor in at least some cases. Interestingly, for me Experian did not always wait to send me the "need more information" response along with the results of the rest of the investigation. At times, it's come with the acknowledgement letter, and at other times, it has come seperately about 1-2 weeks later.

5. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

It could be that when calling these other 2 "deleted" trade lines they immediately said, we don't have any info. SO they deleted those 2. If the other 3 companies where contacted, they have the right to say..yea, she has an account, what isn't right?

It also could be that the 2 deleted are so old that they were near falling off anyway. Who knows? Can you give some details about the 2 deleted verses the 3 needing more info?

I agree that you need to give them more info when sending the initial dispute. They need to know what exactly is wrong, otherwise it's a waste of time.

6. penguin

penguin Well-Known Member

I can understand that I may have been too vague, but the letter I used has been especially successful with TU (about 6 deletions). Also, if they needed clarification, I think they should've notified me sooner. I called them back today, and it doesn't sound like they even initiated the dispute.