Experian vs Lexington

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DaveLV, Apr 4, 2001.

1. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Got this email from Lexington today:

Dear Client:

In an effort to hinder your and our legitimate efforts at credit audit and verification, Experian has closed their P.O. Box 949. They do this periodically, without warning and with no forwarding service provided, in order to subvert our joint efforts at restoring your credit. We wanted to
    alert you, our client, of this change and let you know that if you receive a returned dispute letter addressed to Experian at P.O. Box 949 not to be alarmed. To expedite the delivery of your dispute letter, you may call or write us and notify us of the returned letter. We will then recreate the dispute letter and resend it to the new Experian post office box. Either way, the effect will be the same and your credit restoration will continue without delay.

----

The bad thing is that my experian disputes will probably take longer. The good thing is I will likely get to see a Lexington dispute letter. I asked them if they would send me copies (just because I was curious) and they said no.

2. Himmel

Himmel Guest

Are you allowed to share some of their wording/phrases of their dispute letter with us? ;)

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

that would be interesting

Wow if you happened to get that letter returned to you and could actually see how and what wording was used we may have a clue how to do this without them!!

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Sharing that information would be GREAT! I would suggest doing it off line though....maybe at Yahoo chat perhaps? You can zap a copy of the letter to whoever. That would be the best idea seeing that certain associates of Lex. lurk around this board!

5. Jugnoo

Jugnoo Well-Known Member

Lets play fair folks. Those letters will probably be their "not mine" letters but nevertheless are their bread and butter. Or am I wrong?

6. R1

R1 Guest

Just post it under another name since this board doesn't require registration anyway. With so many clients how do they know who posts it, right?

7. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

What if someone convinces PBM to delete the post???

DO IT OFF LINE aka NOT ON THE BOARD!!!!!

Hate to be sneaky but I'm curious...

8. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

I don't know LK, do you really give those bozo's credit for being intelligent enough to inspect the postmark : )

9. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

If I indeed get a returned letter I will share it with those interested during the chat. I don't believe I ever saw anything in the signup materials that prohibited this. I will do them the courtesy of not posting it publicly however. Stay tuned.

10. Mike2

Mike2 Well-Known Member

Geez, people are sure anxious to get something for nothing. It's one thing to arm ourselves for intellectual and legal battle with the CRA's and borderline-crooked CC companies, but another to actively conspire in this manner. It reinforces the stereotype that people who have had problems handling credit, myself included, are less than honest people. That's just my opinion.

11. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I don't think you could say this is a "conspiracy" of any kind. A few random thoughts:

This is the first round of disputes and is not likely to contain anything other than wording to the effect of "These accounts are not mine" or "This information is inaccurate".

I did not sign any sort of non-disclosure agreement when I signed up with Lexington, nor was any such agreement part of the sign-up process.

I am less interested in the technical aspects of their letters and more interested in how much it resembles a letter I might send myself. The question in my mind is, are they approaching this by imitating a consumer or are they taking the approach of a legal advocate. I'm just curious.

I have emailed my full name and return email address to the Lexington employee who posts here sometimes, and I am posting this information without trying to "disguise" my identity on this board (and believe me -- I do networking for a living -- I could make my post look like it came from just about anywhere I wanted to). If this person wants to ask me not to disclose any "trade-secret" type of information, I will honor his request.

People reading this board have a keen desire to know how this stuff all works. No one is going to go into business for themselves on the basis of just one letter. It's just information that people here are curious about.

To top it all off, there is no way to know for sure I will even get this letter returned to me. It might have been accepted before the PO box was closed. This was just a very interesting "not-what-I-expected" thing to happen, and I thought it might be of interest to like-minded people here on this board.

Mike2, you are entitled to your opinion but I really think you're making this sound more sinister than it is.

12. Mike2

Mike2 Well-Known Member

Dave,
    I wasn't assuming you were going into business or anything like that, and what I said is certainly not an indictment against you, or anyone here. I'd be curious too I guess. I have no idea of your agreement with the firm, but what struck me was how everyone wanted their copy right away too, and potentially wouldn't have any ethical concerns with getting their hands on it whichever way they could. I would think you should deserve to see a copy of your own letter, since you've already retained them to speak on your behalf. It's just an opinion. I normally read, and don't post, which is probably the best policy, and one I will go back to. Good luck in your fight. BTW, I'm a Network Analyst too. CCIE.

13. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Mike,
    It's risky, but I'm going to agree with you. I am so grateful for Junum's work, I wouldn't share. I don't know..for me it would be my way of returning the favor for the major improvement their work is having on my CR. Of course, I know it's not a favor and I'm paying for this but I want them to be able to continue helping people, me especially. ROFL And, I feel like I've gotten way more value for my money. I'm beginning to think that I'm the upcoming poster younger-middle-aged-person for Junum. Teehee (You noticed I had to throw in "younger")

Others,
    This is not anything more than my 2 cents and I totally respect our rights to disagree. I hope I haven't offended anyone and that everyone understands my comments were in the most positive of lights.

Best to all,
    ~C~

14. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I hope you don't stop posting, Mike. Intelligent people can have different opinions about things. Besides, if you stop posting, you can't tell me where to send your copy of the letter. :)

15. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Dave

Dave-
    hehehe...loved your response to Mike..
    :)
    still giggling

16. Former lex

Former lex Guest

I was a former Lexington client, and I did receive a letter returned to sender. Honestly it was the most UNPROFESSIONAL letter I have ever seen. Most posters here have written much better letters. The letter was printed in BOLD and it was terrible. I think my 12 year old son could have written it better. I have not been a client for some time. I do hope that have gotten better in their disputing methods, this letter of course explained why my entries were never deleted.

17. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Former lex:

Yet another reason why I'm curious to see one. I take it you didn't see the results you were hoping for during your time with them?

18. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I feel bad if my long winded reply to him before chases him off. That wasn't my intention.
    Sometimes this kind of communications medium makes me seem more harsh than I indend.

19. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Dave

Dave,
    No, no, don't worry. Mike's post seems, like you said, intelligent. If he's been reading here for some time, he knows you don't mind differences of opinions, etc. :)

I've only been here a month and I know that! ;)

So, Mike, you reading??? We all want you to stay! :)

20. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Re: Dave

Former Lex -
    I, too, then am curious aboutyour results from Lex...I would have a hard time believing that the results I'm seeing from Junum would be the work of a letter like you describe..gonna think positive thoughts...:)

I hope things worked out for you!