Experian Will Not Investigate

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by slowyne, Aug 26, 2003.

1. slowyne

slowyne Member

Good Morning,
    I need some direction as to how to handle Experian.
    I disputed a few accounts on my CR and experian sent me a letter saying that the items have been previously investigated and that I should contact the creditor if information is reported inaccurately. Well I've been doing that for quite some time and NO ONE will respond to me. There is even a duplicate account on my report -- and a judgment I need removed.

What can I do at this point? Please advise

Thank you in advance.

Slowyne

2. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Do the same thing I am doing with Equifax and, as of today, Trans Union - sue them.

My Equifax suit involves fraud in their investigation. I have posted this before but, in a nutshell, I have proof that EFX dpoe NOT contact the creditor when a consumer disputes a trade line - just slaps "verified" on it.

Trans Union - getting sued today. As part of a settlement, Sheman Acquisitions agreed to pull their trade line from my CRA files. In anticipation of teh suit, and in violation of the FTC Adamcin letter they pulled a hard inquiry on my TU.

I pointed this out to Sherman and they sent me a letter saying "any inquiry created...was made in error." I mailed this letter to TU with a demand taht they remove the offending inquiry. Yesterday I got a letter from TU saying "If you believe that an inquiry on your credit report was made without permissible purpose, then you may wish to contact the creditor directly." DUUUUUHHHH, I did that and sent them the results.

Time for them to read a summons.

3. crowmom

crowmom Well-Known Member

dont take it personally. same thing happened to me (and thousands more I'm sure.) Their so-called supervisors are chicken $#!T$. I called and talked to some idiot named Mathew, and when I realized I was getting nowhere with him, I demanded his 'supervisor'. Her (his?) name was supposedly Kerry. Of course Kerry was not able to come to the phone. Incompetent Mr. Mathew told us he would have Kerry call us back. This might shock you, but...Kerry never called. *gasp*

The next day, we called and asked for Kerry and we were given the run around again, put on hold, and finally connected with Kerry's voicemail. We left a message, but again, Kerry never called back.

Mr./Ms. Kerry at Experian?? you are a chicken.

my point is, dont bother calling them. (seems like I've read that on this board a few thousand times, lol)

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WILLFUL NON-COMPLIANCE

5. rhondak

rhondak Well-Known Member

Experian is pulling tactics with me too. I got a letter yesterday saying they needed the copy of drivers license, etc., that I sent already back in May. Am I supposed to send that with every single letter I send them?

Again, it's just more delay tactics with them.

6. Amy B

Amy B Well-Known Member

Dumb question here, but aren't they REQUIRED to investigate by law?? I'm all for jumping on the "sue the CRA" bandwagon. I need to, too!!

7. rhondak

Well, I've got to go make more copies of the Drivers License and all that, but this time, I will make enough to last for a while and send a copy with each letter to them so they can't pull this on me again.

But when they pull the "it's frivolous so we won't investigate", I'm not sure what to do after that.

I've sent a follow-up letter to the first "frivolous" letter I got, basically saying it wasn't frivolous to me, that I had contacted the creditors and they weren't able to validate the debt so how could they (the CRA)?

Yes, yes, I know verification and validation are 2 different things, but I'm hoping the follow-up letter will let them know that I'm not going to stop just because they say it's frivolous.

I think I saw a followup letter on here somewhere for after getting that "frivolous" letter, but I don't remember where it is.

What kills me about the "frivolous" letter is just this: They say, "provide us with more documentation" but if you're saying "the account isn't mine", how in the world would you have any documentation about an account that was never yours?

8. cinderella

cinderella Well-Known Member

Don't worry rhondak, even if you had convincing documentation that would make any normal person believe that account wasn't yours, say a letter from the creditor stating such, EXP would likely ignore this. They really don't consider evidence, saying they do is just a smokescreen.

9. rhondak

It's really maddening sometimes and it does seem that Experian is the worst.

First round of disputes, all three CRAs, I got a total of 15 or 16 derogs off. (combined, some dupes). Second round 4 or 5 each on EQ and TU, but Experian basically is pulling every punch they can.

Makes me want to say cuss words. ;)

Anyway, I guess right now, I just wait for the rest of the green cards to come back and follow the process....again.

Almost everything is past the SOL (it's only 3 years here) so I'm not worried about actually collection on anything. We just want to build a house while the rates are still low. Land is bought (off the CRA grid - owner financed, thank god) plans and builder are already picked out, hell, we already belong to the property owners association just because of the land purchase. It's just maddening paying rent every month when I could be paying toward a mortgage.

There is actually only one item left that the mortgage company wants off before they'll do it (but I don't know at what rate, so I'm pursuing getting everything off) and that one thing is reported only on one CRA (not Experian by the way), and it's reported twice, once by the OC and once by the CA (OC shows full balance, CA shows double the balance)

I think I saw somewhere else on this board where it's illegal to show the same debt twice, didn't I? If the OC turns it over to a CA, don't they have to change their balance to $0?

10. crowmom

It would seem logical. I'd like to know the answer to that question myself.

Also, I just want to say that I finally got Experian to remove a TL, but only after MONTHS of bitchy letters. How long have to been at this with them? It took about 5 disputes for me, (since MAY) and the last one was a short & sweet threat to sue. When they sent the 'this item has been previously investigated' bologna form letter, i sent it back and basically said 'no it hasnt, or else you would see that you are wrong.' When they sent me the 'frivolous' letter, i sent it back and said 'nope, this is not frivolous and you still only have 30 days from the original dispute to verify'. When they sent me the 'you may wish to contact the original creditor' bullsh!t form letter, I sent it back and in VERY LARGE BOLD TYPE I basically said "I ALREADY DID AND SENT YOU PROOF. NOW IT IS YOU WHO NEEDS TO CONTACT THE ORIGINAL CREDITOR."

If you make them realize you are not going away, and you have a legitimate gripe, and you TYPE REAL BIG SO THEY CAN SEE IT (LOL) and be patient, they just might finally do what they're supposed to do.

11. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think I saw somewhere else on this board where it's illegal to show the same debt twice, didn't I? If the OC turns it over to a CA, don't they have to change their balance to $0?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    crowmom
    ========== Welcome to GEICO Direct First USA
    If it's sold oc must show a 0 Bal.
    If Assigned to A CA the OC can show the Bal.because it's still owed to the OC.

12. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

quote:
    crowmom
    ==========
    If it's sold oc must show a 0 Bal.
    If Assigned to A CA the OC can show the Bal.because it's still owed to the OC.

13. rhondak

crowmom - I seem to be following the same path you are. I've been sending the same letters in response to "already been investigated" and "frivolous" although I haven't gotten to the "I sent you proof" part yet.

14. rhondak

OK, so is there a legal way to find out if it's been sold or assigned?

Do they have to provide that info if you ask for it?

15. crowmom

<bump> anyone know the answer??

also, rhonda, here's the last letter i sent experian...maybe you could use some of it:

Sir or Madame:

RE: TRADE LINE, ACCOUNT # 654321...

I HAVE DISPUTED THE ABOVE ACCOUNT THREE (3) TIMES, PROVIDED YOU PROOF THAT IT IS INCORRECT, AND YET YOU CONTINUE TO REPORT INACCURATE INFORMATION.
    I HAVE BEEN TOLERANT OF YOUR WILLFUL AND NEGLIGENT NONCOMPLIANCE LONG ENOUGH.

I CONTACTED THE ORIGINAL CREDITOR/SOURCE BEFORE I EVER BEGAN COMMUNICATIONS WITH YOU AND I HAVE PROOF OF THAT, SO DO NOT TELL ME THAT I MAY WISH TO CONTACT THE SOURCE.

IT IS YOU WHO NEEDS TO CONTACT THE SOURCE.
    SIMPLY CALL THEM AT 1-800-xxx-xxxx.

[THE OC] HAS DONE THEIR PART AND SO HAVE I.

AGAIN I AM ENCLOSING SAID PROOF.

DELETE THE TRADE LINE OR BE SUED.

Sincerely,

CROWMOM
    ---------------------

I think the font size was like 16 or 18, lol. It seemed to have gotten someone's attention tho, because the TL finally came off.

16. crowmom

Re: Re: Experian Will Not Investigate

<BUMP>

<AGAIN>

17. rhondak

Re: Re: Experian Will Not Investigate

:) Thanks.

18. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

This hasn't been talked about in a long time, but are you guys filing complaints with the FTC each and every time they pull this crap? They have an online fill in the blank form.

They won't investigate one complaint, but we can hope that eventually, after reading complaint after complaint after complaint, at some point the FTC will have to investigate.

19. crowmom

20. rhondak

THANKS. I'll definitely file a complaint against Experian. I know they aren't verifying properly. Their delay tactics are absolutely shameful and I can't believe they have been getting away with this for so long.