Experian Will Not Investigate

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by slowyne, Aug 26, 2003.

1. rhondak

rhondak Well-Known Member

thanks crowmom. I will be able to use that if EQ doesn't remove the one CA that I got the UDF for, but I don't have any "proof" from anybody else yet.

I'll copy it to my email folder (where I have a ton of stuff from this board)

It's a good letter.

2. rhondak

Re: Re: Experian Will Not Investigate

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by rhondak
    OK, so is there a legal way to find out if it's been sold or assigned?

Do they have to provide that info if you ask for it?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bumping this question

How do you find out if a CA has bought the debt or had it assigned? Since that makes a difference in how it's reported (CA and OC both reporting)

Thanks in advance!

3. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

4. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Experian Will Not Investigate

Well ... ya just answered your own question. Look at your CR's.

If it's sold and reported by the OC it "should" say "sold or transfered" with a zero balance.

5. rhondak

Re: Re: Re: Experian Will Not Investigate

Well, you would think that, except that I don't trust that everyone is actually reporting the way they should be.

In this case, an OC and a CA are both reporting the same debt, but with different dates, different amounts (CA has added double the balance in "fees" and of course, made the starting date the date they received the account apparently, rather than the dates of the original debt)

The reason I'm asking this question (over and over) is because if the OC actually sold the debt to the CA, they are reporting inaccurate information (but we know how rare that is hahaha)

The OC reports debt of $3850. CA reports debt of $7800 (BS). The debt is way past SOL. The OC is out of business in this state but still operates in other states. The CA reporting didn't show up until I tried to validate with the OC.

I had already contacted the AG about these two companies (OC and CA) because neither has validated, yet both are reporting and the CA is sending collection letters. (But I didn't send my original validation letters crrr - it was before I found this site)

I am already planning on sending validation letters again (crrr this time) but if the OC actually did sell the debt (and I think they probably did considering it's past SOL) then they are incorrectly reporting a balance.

I just don't know how to find out for sure whether they sold it or assigned it. Since their requirements for reporting are different for each scenario, shouldn't the consumer be able to legally find out which is the case?

This (or these 2) account(s) is one that I wrote the AG about (they are in the same city) and the AG forwarded it to the FTC.

I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse here. I just still don't know if I can legally force the OC or CA to tell me if they own the debt or if they have been assigned the debt by the OC.

6. eddunn1

eddunn1 Active Member

would someone please enlighten me here? i have been under the misguided impression that the cra's are required under the law to REMOVE anything that they can not verify as completely accurate. is this correct, or am i mistaken? that was the way i understood the fcra anyway. so now, what gives these people at the cra the authority to keep putting us off to the original creditor? seems like anytime i send proof positive of a discrepancy with a listing on my cr, they advise me to get in touch with the original creditor.....just passing the buck.....ed