Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jk, Jan 16, 2001.

  1. jk

    jk Guest

    Hi! I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find it in the threads. If anyone is willing, I would appreciate it. Experian has redated some old account of mine and will not re-investigate because they say they have twice. I spoke to the creditor, and they said that because Experian is the only one reporting this way, then it is their mistake (they verified that it is a mistake.) However, two rotten reps at Experian refused to reinvestigate, told me to take it up with creditor. Please help. I appreciate it! Thanks!!!

    GEORGE Well-Known Member

    Get a letter from the creditor stating the correct information about the account and send it to the credit reporting agency "RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED" SAVE COPIES OF ALL PAPER WORK...then see what happens.

  3. jamie

    jamie Well-Known Member

    Experian did the same thing to me. They actually had the b---s to say they verified an open balance on an account that was paid off in '96. Don't you love how they say to take it up with the creditor and when you do they say take it up with the CRA. There aught to be a law....

    GEORGE Well-Known Member


    You can't work with the credit reporting agencies...you can't work with the creditor...
  5. Saar

    Saar Banned

    jamie wrote:
    "Don't you love how they say to take it up with the creditor and when you do they say take it up with the CRA. There aught to be a law...."

    There IS a law.

    The problem is not with the law, the problem is people don't fight for their rights. If the information on the report is false, and you've made an unsuccessful but honest attempt to correct it, retain a lawyer and file suit. You'll get what you want fixed, plus court costs and attorney fees.

  6. jk

    jk Guest

    Thanks, everyone!
  7. marci

    marci Well-Known Member


    I agree with you, except it's tough to find a decent attorney who really knows consumer law who doesn't require major $$$$ up-front.

    I'm going through the *exact* same thing with Experian and a former creditor wrt inaccurate reporting. Each tell me "take it up with ______. It's their problem". When I called the creditor last night asking for a letter, and explaining that the FCRA puts more burden on the creditor for accuracy than the CRA, she flatly told me she knew all about the FCRA and hung up on me (Let me add that I was extremely professional with her).

    Maybe a lot of people on this board can up-front a 2-3K retainer for an consumer law attorney, but I just can't right now.
  8. Saar

    Saar Banned

    True, but keep in mind that in the end litigation probably won't be necessary.

    All you have to do is have an attorney write a them "last notice before litigation" letters. One letter to the creditor, demanding they notify the bureaus of the false information reported. The other to the bureau itself, insisting they disclose how verification was done, who verified it and what's his phone # and address.

    Of course no attorney would do it for free, but it would cost much less than a full retention fee. Pat M reported having an attorney do it for him for $100. This would usually cost more than that, but keep in mind that a bad credit rating also costs lots of money.

  9. marci

    marci Well-Known Member

    Thanks, Saar. This may very well be my next step.


Share This Page