FCNB's Retail Cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by pg, Feb 12, 2001.

1. pg

pg Guest

Greetings,

Are FCNB's retail cards (such as Newport-News or Spiegel)difficult to obtain with a blemished credit report?

Thanks,

pg

2. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

A couple of weeks ago, I researched every post I could find about Spiegel. It seems that they will approve with damaged credit, but usually start you off with a low limit such as $400.

I'm thinking of getting a Spiegel card, simply because I'm frustrated that I got turned down by Target and JCPenney. I'm certain that a JCPenney turndown would mean a Wal-Mart turndown as well. Where else can I turn to buy inexpensive goods on credit?

Then, of course, I intend to close most of my retail accounts once I have otherwise flawless credit reports. I'd much rather have a few prime bank cards (plus AmEx) than a bunch of small retail cards with high interest rates.

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: hmm

blemished must not mean charge offs.

I have a previous account with them paid in full account closed by consumer.

some chargeoffs.

DENIED.

4. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I was denied also about a month ago for a Newport News credit card. I have charge offs also. Spiegel does NOT sell inexpensive things. So if you were denied by Target (much easier to get) and possibly Penneys, I'd venture to say, NO GO for Spiegel. Sorry.

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

It depends on how blemished. I got the Spiegel card with a few blemishes (CO's) in my report. I was turned down for the Eddie Bauer card though.

roni

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Well I contradict your theory. I was turned down by Target but got Speigel ..no problem.

roni

7. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

My husband got Penneys 1K limit with the open charge off and 4-5 late pays. All were from '96, so I don't know what bearing that had. I got 500 limit, with an unpaid collection from '96. I also got Lowes and QVC with higher limits. Penneys pulled TU on both of us. QVC pulled Equifax, and Lowes pulled TU and Equifax. Going by the list from Creditmania, all 3 should have pulled Experian, which is why applied for them. My Experian report is squeaky clean.

8. Desdemona

Desdemona Well-Known Member

I got a Newport News catalog "pre-approved" Nov 99 with $400 limit, by Aug 00 I'm at $3000 at Speigels, Newport News and Eddie Bauer. I have three (really 2, one was Target/Hudson same thing) unpaid charge offs and credit report that wasn't cleaned up yet. So go figure. Love the card, they offer defered payments all the time (gives me time to paid off the balance) and they are quick to up the limit. Report to all three on a monthly basis can't go wrong.

9. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

RE: Spiegel

I actually went to the Spiegel web site, and the goods didn't seem particularly expensive to me. Catalog companies save a lot of money by not paying for prime real estate, and sometimes that results in decent prices.

In my case, there wouldn't be any connection between my Target results and my Spiegel results. Target (and JCPenney) pulled Experian on me, and I have read that Spiegel pulls Equifax or Trans Union. Experian is by far my worst report. So there's no need to be sorry.

10. mng

mng Guest

Hi roni,

You can use your Spiegel card at Eddie Bauer. FCNB will only let you have one of the three cards.

BTW Spiegel has been the most generous of all the sub-subprime cards that I have. Started at $850 a year ago and now at $2850. It could have something to do with me having an FCNB card?

Target, WalMart etc. have all turned me down. Go figure... And if anybody does figure it out please report back here.

roni wrote:-------------------------------It depends on how blemished. I got the Spiegel card with a few blemishes (CO's) in my report. I was turned down for the Eddie Bauer card though.roni