FICO: 523, Help! have 5 CH 5 Coll.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cyprigirl, May 28, 2001.

1. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

Hello to everyone, I am new to this board. I just saw my fico score and I need help fast! I have 6 new credit cards within the past year. I have never been late and always them early. I have 9-14 collections and chargeoffs between the CRA. I recently disputed some items so I am keeping my fingers cross as to their results. I have however paid other creditor's without unfortunately getting an agreement for the deletion of the item on my report. I was uninformed then, but now I will not be caught off guard again. I do need help dealing with an CA called Nationwide. I had return a check with a grocery store in 1996 and I was in the process of moving and I called the store to make arrangements with them to pay and they agreed and said they would not take collection action. Well anyway I was paying them but after two times of sending a payment they never sent a receipt or a letter stating whether they had received it. So after a couple months, I called them and they said they had placed the account in collections. But I told them I was paying them and they agreed they would not report this. I even gave them my address and phone number to contact me. But I heard nothing. Then I became frustrated because I was paying. So a few months pass by again and I checked my credit file for the first time with transunion and I saw the CA had reported me since 3/1996 and the incident happened in 3/1996 and I was paying them 4-1996 6-1996 after which they never wrote me regarding this debt or receipt for my payments. When I saw my report I immediately contacted the CA and paid it off 2-1997. I thought that would be the end of it. But I checked my credit file again in 11-2000 and I saw that they were still reporting it unpaid. I raised hell and disputed it. but they verified it with Transunion, it took two disputes to have them update it and I check again recently and saw that they still are reporting the wrong date as to when it was paid off. I contacted them recently to try and have them removed the item completely and they refused. I am wondering can I force them to remove it if they violated past credit laws and is still reporting wrong information?

I am little longwinded but I was very upset about this matter for one incident that happened 6 years my credit is screwed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cyprigirl
    :)

2. Cyprigirl

If someone knows how I can resolve this problem about this collection agency. Please let me know. Anyone ever dealt with Nationwide Collection Agency?

Thanks!

Cyprigirl :)

3. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

Read the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and take action based upon what you read.

If the agency is violating that law, sue them. You should win money and have it corrected once and for all.

Or, go public. Create a web site dedicated to them and their poor recordkeeping. It's fun.

If you just got six credit cards, your record can't be all that bad, though. What's your score?

4. Cyprigirl

Thanks for the tip. I will send them a letter and proceed to take legal action against them. I will update my status when I hear from them.

Nationwide is the WORST!

5. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

Please tell us the four reasons given with your score that your score is not higher.

6. Cyprigirl

They said serious deliquencies, accounts are new, the amounts of my deliquencies and recent derogatory information. But the latter is hard to believe when when my charge offs are on the average 5 to 6 years old. I am confused by my score.

I sent off my dispute letter to Transunion, I hope I can crack their safe.

Thanks!

7. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

"I have 9-14 collections and chargeoffs between the CRA" tells the story. But that's a confusing sentence. What do you mean?

8. Cyprigirl

I have 9 on EQ
    I have 14 on EX
    I have 13 on TU

At least 9 of my charge offs are the same on each report, but EX and TU have a few extras and they are killing my credit file.

I am trying to do this myself but it is getting really hard.

Thanks!

9. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

What is getting hard?

Why do you need help "fast"? What is your goal?

10. Cyprigirl

It is getting a little frustrating because I need to improve me credit to get a graduate loan and the bank told me I need certain items paid or off my report before they will approve my loan along with a letter of explanation as to why I was delinquent.

But I have been doing some legal research and I think I can persuade the CA's a little based on their actions so far. I know it will be a challenge but I am up to the challenge, although it can be frustrating at times.

11. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

In other words, you're trying to get out of paying what you legitimately owe?

12. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

If you are worried about graduate loans, why aren't you going for Staffords? Those are pretty generous and are awarded without credit score consideration. Have you explored that option? Or grants? When I was applying for grad school, the bank loans were the highest interest rate.

13. Cyprigirl

I guess you did not read my letter very well. I am trying to negotiate a settlement in exchange for deletion on the credit report with the collection agencies. You should not assume things unless you know the facts, Sir!

Cyprigirl ;(

14. Cyprigirl

My school is very expensive and they offer little financial aid assistance in house, therefore I have to seek alternative loans for school.

Anyway I am learning that you should not deal with CAs, I am going to deal with the original creditors directly and workout something with them.

Thanks!

15. the other

the other Well-Known Member

You should look into Stafford loans. That is how I have financed most of my graduate school. they are not credit based, so it doesn't matter how bad your credit score is.

16. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Just some food for thought on your school situation. Some employers are very generous about tuition reimbursement or even up front payments of tuition. This may require you to agree to stay with them for a certain period of time afterwords, but if they pay your tuition, it may be worth it.

I changed employers while in grad school to go with a company that paid 10,000$ per year of tuition for grad school. And here is the beauty of that-they issued a tuition credit card. They issued a mastercard that could be used to buy books, pay tuition, etc. Something about the code for the charge limited charges to school related purchases. But you did not have to pay for it, then wait for your company to reimburse.

One more thing, and again, just something to consider. When I was going back to grad school, I considered two programs in my hometown; one a private school, another public. Same program, but a difference in tuition by 25,000$. Could a public school give you the same degree at a lesser cost? And bigger public schools tend to be more generous with the Stafford loans that I referred to.

Good luck with your education-and again, this is just something to think about. Getting my master's degree made a big difference in my life, and know that you should do everything you can to make it happen for you!

17. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

The facts are clear, and my question is now a statement: In other words, you're trying to get out of paying what you legitimately owe... Ma'am!

Further, you're trying to change history. You wish you didn't have collections and charge-offs, but you do-- and you're trying to get somebody to report a lie: That it never happened.

Why don't you just pay your debt instead of trying to talk your way out of it AND have the record removed, as well (give me a break-- you must be joking)... Ma'am?

18. Cyprigirl

G. Fisher,

What collection agency do you work for?

How much are they paying you to monitor this website?

Either that or you don't have much of a life!

Why don't you mind your own business!

If you have nothing worthwhile to say, then do not comment, Thank you!

And again if you do not the facts of my situation, they you should not assume anything!

Cyprigirl

19. Cyprigirl

You wrote:

Read the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and take action based upon what you read.

If the agency is violating that law, sue them. You should win money and have it corrected once and for all.

Or, go public. Create a web site dedicated to them and their poor recordkeeping. It's fun.

If you just got six credit cards, your record can't be all that bad, though. What's your score?

So I guess I should sue and get out of paying and get money back from them for damages and change the history anyway, huh?

Cyprigirl

20. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

Cyprigirl,

G. Fisher is NOT here to monitor these wbsites. If you have the time click on any of his links and you will realize he knows exactly what he is talking about.

You just don't like the advice you have been given. That's always a possibility when you post on a public board.

If you are disputing things to have them corrected then dispute away. If you are just trying to have all the records removed so you can get more loans, then sorry. I don't think that should happen. If you have the money, Pay off each of your ? 12? or 14? charge-offs and get them to report them as PAID. That's bound to look better than not paid.

Maybe you can then write that letter of explanation.