fico plummets

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by eddie, Jul 2, 2001.

1. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

Last week fico was 672 from eq. Friday Providian reports my account as having an item in dispute. Status changes from paid as agreed never late to account in dispute. Fico scoring model picks this up as a derogatory account. Fico score now 613.

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

That's insane!! How can they get away with that? Send them a "Greg" letter.

breeze

3. Lionel

Lionel Well-Known Member

Caramba! Where there any other changes, such as additional debt being reported?

4. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

No other changes I can detect. Providian resolution rep and I had an extended discussion about which I will report later. Im saving up all my energy for a long planetfeedback missive to providian executive offices.

5. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

my fico improved when I disputed a charge on my providian card. Of course, I can not remember the other variables. :-(

6. jason

jason Well-Known Member

According to Fair, Isaac, an item in dispute IS NOT considered in their scoring. I have that right from the horse's mouth and I'm sure it's true.

There must be another reason. Perhaps having the item missing from the report is throwing you into a "thin file" score card and dropping your score.

7. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

Jason you dont understand. Im not disputing the account with equifax. I am disputing a transaction on my account with providian. Providian reports the account to equifax as in dispute. It should also say paid as agreed but providian left that notation off somehow. So fico sees an account with a high balance which is not reported as paid as agreed and considers it negative. Therefore the score plummets. Got it?

8. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Well, even if someone doesn't get it, they should get points for trying. Remember that the word "dispute" really triggers a specific set of thoughts on a discussion board where credit repair is the main topic. I seriously doubt you can blame any of us for misunderstanding you. In any case, it's usually always a good idea to treat others who are trying to help you with friendliness -- even when they don't get it. "Got it?"

Doc

P.S. As you probably know, this is not an issue for the credit reporting agency. Instead, you've got to deal with the bozos in the credit reporting department at your card issuer who have clearly erred in reporting your account as being in bad standing. Good luck.

9. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

When I called Providian I had to speak to someone in their nresolution dept. These are the people who resolve disputed transactions. It took me 45 minutes to get through and when I got to her I was very annoyed and it showed. She admitted that Providians reporting was wrong and supposedly she fixed it. However she said it would not be reported correctly to Equifax until another 30 days when the account was reported next. I went ballistic. She claimed there was no one in all of providian who could contact Eq to fix it. Eventually I got a supervisor who promised it would be rectified immediately but it is still screwed up. Anyway my whole point is an account with a 4k balance when reported as currently delinquent drops your score a whole bunch. The fico reasons were 39 seious delinquency and 34 amount owed on delinquent accounts.

10. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

Doc I guess I owe Jason an apology. Im just annoyed by the whole thing and in a foul mood. Also I guess if people are going to offer advice they should read the posts closely and carefully first. Myself included.

11. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

If the account is noted as in dispute (and if that has no effect on your score) then it could mean that the serious delinquency FICO reason is caused by other accounts that are delinquent.

If you have ten apples and five have worms, that's 50% of the apples which have worms. If you take away one of the good apples, and still, five have worms, that increases the percentage of apples with worms to 56%.

12. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

There are no other problems. Providian has admitted they reported wrong. The score drop occurred immediately after I got a creditwatch notification from Equifax that the Providian account reporting status had changed.

13. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Edddie,

I agree with you. People, look, Providian is doing what all credit card/loan companies *should* do when they have a disagreement with the customer.

There is a difference between disputing with a CRA (which does not get factored into a score) and disputing with a company who lists the dispute on it's tradeline (it DOES matter a great deal).

I had the same thing happen with Citibank last year. I disputed with them, and they udpated all three CRA's with "account in dispute". They did exactly what they were supposed to do by law and my score plummeted as well.

That's one reason I fought so hard to have the tradeline deleted by their executive office.

14. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Eddie,

I understood your posts fully on this thread here. I have corresponded with you and Jason a number of times and I know you both to be good constructive writers here. I seriously doubt that Jason wants or needs an apology or he would have said so.

Do write the letter to Providian via Planet Feedback. I have had success with this tactic 3 times now with companies, including with the Providian Executive office. One more letter is in process.

Don't take little PsychDic too seriously. While it is certainly agreeable to hear him/her preaching courtesy. He/she recently got one of his posts removed here for using the word f#ces in regard to a post I addressed to someone else. If PsychDic is now courteous it is welcome - BUT NEW.

Jim