FICO Revamp Coming Soon?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Hope, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Got this communique today from one of my real estate industry pipelines. I've cut and pasted the contents below:

"Higher Credit Scores On The Horizon?

Home buyers and refinancers who've paid all their credit card, mortgage and revolving debts on time could be in for an unexpected bonus: A big jump in their credit scores, opening up the possibility of lower interest rates and fees on future loans.

On the other hand, under important credit-scoring changes now being introduced to major lenders nationwide, some late-paying borrowers can expect painful retribution: significant drops on their scores below where they are today, potentially costing them more money the next time they apply for a mortgage.

These little-publicized credit score changes are part of a new, alternative approach being rolled out by the developer of "FICO" scores, the dominant credit-risk ratings used by mortgage lenders, credit card issuers, auto finance firms, insurance companies, employers and landlords across the country. "FICO" is short for Fair, Isaac & Co., Inc., of San Rafael, California. The company calls the new alternative its "Next Generation" scores, as distinct from the "Classic" FICO scores virtually all lenders currently use to rate loan applicants? risk of future defaults.

The new scores became available from all three national credit repositories -- Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion -- last month, and are expected to be rapidly adopted by banks and mortgage lenders during the coming year. The significance of the move to "Next Generation" scores was explained last week to local credit bureaus at the annual convention of the National Credit Reporting Association in Tucson, Arizona.

Fair, Isaac's Karlene Bowen said the key to the "Next Generation" score is that it uses complex statistical models to "see through" credit file data to better identify loan applicants who represent the highest risks of delinquency or foreclosure. Based on new analyses of tens of millions of consumer credit files, the Next Generation scores "reward" some people --moving them into the heretofore rarefied "800" and higher score category. But it also pushes other people below the "600" level that often triggers higher interest rates and fees.

Under the FICO score system, consumer credit files are risk-rated on a numerical scale from 300 to about 900. The higher you score, the better credit risk you represent. Late payments, high credit balances against credit limits, too few or too new credit lines, and other factors lower scores. On-time payments, moderate to low credit balances against limits, and active but prudent use of credit over extended periods all tend to increase FICO scores.

Under the "Classic" FICO system now in use nationwide, only 11 percent of borrowers get scores of 800 or higher. Fully 40 percent of the credit-using population have scores of 699 or below.With the introduction of Next Generation scores, however, 22 percent of all borrowers will discover their scores have risen into the select 800-plus category -- double the current proportion. On average, in fact, consumers with relatively clean credit histories are likely to score 15 points higher on the new system than under the current, "Classic" FICO. These are people who manage their credit well, and have no delinquencies or "derogatory" entries on their repository files.

On the other hand, certain borrowers will end up with lower scores:

Applicants with "thin" credit files that cover short time spans. These tend to be people with one or two lines of credit or who have only recently begun their credit lines. They sometimes score in the 700s under today's FICO system, but will experience a 20-30 point average decline under the new.

People with serious credit problems -- collections, charge-offs, and bankruptcies--can expect 10 to 15 point drops with Next Generation scoring. However, other borrowers with less serious problems -- a couple of 30-day late payments spread over several years, for example -- may well get slightly higher scores."

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

IT'S ABOUT TIME...I have PERFECT payment history...BUT only 704 F.I.C.O.
    Something is WRONG with that...

3. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Yeah! My boyfriend is going to become even more "golden", while I'm going to become even more of the "redheaded stepchild".

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Did you see the movie ANNIE???
    Red hair, MR. WARBUCKS, stepchild...

5. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

I wanted to <bump> this to give everyone a chance to "pre-plan"...

6. doodyhead

doodyhead Well-Known Member

Is this another form of age discrimination?

7. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

And "disputer" discrimination. Removing all the erroneous crap. Not to mention the positive trades that have been removed by TU aong the way.

...I know each of my files has gone from 8 or 9 pages to like 1 or 2 pages at most. -Peace, Dave

8. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Hope , Is there any chance you could check the time line on this article? I was under the impression Nextgen was released a while ago as a fico specific score model.

VJ

9. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Score pricing is still a con game.no matter how they change it.

10. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

This Sucks $hit for me..!!!

This is NOT AT ALL fare to Fraud Vicitims who have been forced to start from scratch!!! ALL of my CC are NEW.!!! I guess I will be the one who has to suffer again with a 30-point drop!!!

11. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Hi VJ, yes I have it. It was just published this week (Veterans Day), Nov. 12, 2001.

Here's the link to the convention the author mentions where the new FICO scoring system was explained to creditors:

http://www.ncrainc.org/

And here's the author's credentials:

"Kenneth R. Harney writes an award-winning, nationally-syndicated column on housing and real estate from Washington, D.C. He is also managing director of the National Real Estate Development Center, a professional education company. He is a past member of the Federal Reserve Board's Consumer Advisory Council, a committee that by federal statute reviews all Fed actions on home mortgage, consmer credit and banking industry regulation.

He served as a member of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's Working Group on Computerized Loan Origination (CLO) systems, and is a member of the Editorial Board of the Fannie Mae Foundation's journal, Housing Policy Debate. He is the author of two books on mortgage finance and real estate."

12. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Teehee, George! (But "Little Orphan Annie" was Daddy Warbucks' ward, not stepchild and thus had no legal right to his wealth, though her own folks may have left her well fixed...I can't recall the stoyline.)

Anyway, I'll rephrase my situation as follows:

With NextGen FICO scoring, I could become the preverbial "bastard at a family reunion".

13. marci

marci Well-Known Member

NextGen has been around for a while, but not many creditors had been subscribing to it. Maybe that will change soon. Bayhouse.Com old forum archives have a lot of good discussions about NextGen and how it compares to the current FICO models.

14. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Same garbage Different can

15. navajo67

navajo67 Active Member

It seems like your scores are pretty consistance but my are kind of everywhere...
    Equifax-665, TU-617, Exp-517...
    any idea why?

16. KristyW

KristyW Well-Known Member

17. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Hey, lbrown59, under the new system, twice as many people will score better than 800! Here's the quote:

Under the "Classic" FICO system now in use nationwide, only 11 percent of borrowers get scores of 800 or higher. Fully 40 percent of the credit-using population have scores of 699 or below. With the introduction of Next Generation scores, however, 22 percent of all borrowers will discover their scores have risen into the select 800-plus category -- double the current proportion. On average, in fact, consumers with relatively clean credit histories are likely to score 15 points higher on the new system than under the current, "Classic" FICO.

If FICO is a scheme to make more and more people pay more money for loans, why in the world would FICO change their formulas so that more people would score better? In fact, why in the world would they double the number of people who qualify for the least expensive loans???

My guess is that you can't explain this conundrum, hmmm? :)

Doc

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"DADDY WARBUCKS" had ADOPTION papers drawn up, but ANNIE said she wanted to find her "REAL" mother and father...

19. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

This is scary! I guess my score is going to be dropping unless I can get the negatives removed.

20. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

JUST F.Y.I. you can LOSE F.I.C.O. points by paying down your credit cards...

RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR!!!