FICO Scores

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jen, Sep 11, 2000.

1. jen

jen Well-Known Member

What is considered and "excellent" score, a "good" score and a "bad" score???
    Any help will be appreciated.

2. Pat

Pat Guest

700 is excellent, 600 is bad

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

<620 very bad
    620-680 bad/fair
    >680 good
    >700 excellent

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I've read the FICO scores range from 300 to 900. It is interesting that very bad to excellent is compressed in a range of 80 points. What do you have to do to get a score of 400 or 800?

5. FISH

FISH Guest

Interesting.........You say that under 620 is very bad..I just bought a new 2000 Camaro and my score was 610 and did not have a problem. When I went to do a home equity a few months ago I had 600 and they said that
    550-580 was c credit 580-610 was b and over
    620 b+ and over 650 was a. Somewhere things sound weird. You can go to www.freecreditanalyzer.com and get a pretty close picture of your score. I did mine and it was very close. On the home equity loan the a-b-c-d- etc. was a factor in the interest rate.

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

FYI: I bought a new Mitsubishi recently. My score is 619. The information that I am providing is a summary of the information that I have been reading. You can always get a car or home from manufactures or subprime lenders expecially a car with no outstanding delinquencies. But in the major scene of things, the numbers that I suggest are close. Back when E-loan was giving out fico scores, this analysis was provided along with my score. Words like bad and good were not used. But these are the cut off scores. Below 620 means that you would not qualify for the best provides. 620-680 means that they would look at your application more closely. And above 680 you were in excellent shape. I also prequalified for a home loan with my scores.

7. Rich Guy

Rich Guy Guest

Free Credit Analyzer

FISH,

Thank you! for recommending that site. I went to freecreditanalyzer.com for a peek at my likely FICO score. I got a 688, much better than I thought. I was expecting maybe 560, based on the responses I get from applications.

8. Michael

Michael Guest

RE: Free Credit Analyzer

I tried a few variations to see what changed and notice that with no late payments the following factors weigh heavy in FICO scores.

1. Employment should be over 2 yrs with same employer.

2. Try to have as little balance on accounts owing.

3. Have fewer accounts with higher credit limits on them.

I think most of us should think about closing those $300.00-$1500.00 accounts if we can. Using the FICO Scoring they should be replaced with 1-2 major prime cards with a much better limit on them!