Finally Aprroved By Amex!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cyprigirl, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

Well folks, I can finally say I am an Amex member after all the blood, sweat and tears,,,just kidding but it sure feels like it......

I was finally approved for an Amex product, the LOC for $5000, its not much but I finally got my foot in the door with Amex.

I don't know which feeling is better now, that First Citibank approval or the Amex approval.

I am just soo happy right now and thanks to the board for all its support.

Citibank got it!
    Amex got it!

What left...
    Chase
    MBNA
    Diner's Club
    Amex charge card

I am thinking about trying MBNA next via PFB, but I will just let this AMEX approval soak in for awhile.

Cypri:)

2. Cyprigirl

Sorry about the typo as you can tell I am drunk with excitement......LOL

3. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

congrats. And $5000 is a decent credit line.

I remember when I had to accept $200 cap1 limits lol.

4. mindylou

mindylou Well-Known Member

Congrats Cyprigirl, on your amex LOC. :)

mindy

5. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

congratulations! I applied for the Amex on Sunday and was denied on Monday. I think they pulled TU (score 636) no lates but I have one other loc with another bank with only 7% available.I have two paid collections 2 or 3 yrs old both under $200.Only 2 inq. in past 3 years. Income is $80,000. I have not rec'd the denial letter so I'm not sure of the reason. Does any one know if the othe LOC got me denied? Or is my score too low?
    Thanks

6. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

Cypri, congrats! Way to go! I am happy for you. It's nice to score a big victory once in a while, huh?

I am in the processing of trying to get an approval for an AMEX Gold Card. I am appealing their initial decline of my app. Hopefully I'll have an answer tomorrow. I've generated more paperwork in this process than was created by the lawyers doing the RJR/Nabisco leveraged buyout!

Write me when you get the chance so we can bring each other up to date. Congrats again, Cypri.

-chriscraft

7. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

Chriscraft, What number do you call at AMEX to get a reconsider on a declined application?

8. Cyprigirl

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.

Hi Chris! I will drop you a mail to update you with my progress.

I am working at medium size firm now and I really like it there and I am learning a lot.

thank you ! thank you !

9. Cyprigirl

Tommyy
    Be prepared for a serious run around at AMEX for the LOC.

I have been battling them for a month and I finally had to escalate it to the executive level.

i strongly suggest you fax them a letter to the reconsideration dept, because the customer service have no clue neither do the supervisors.

the number is 1-866-844-2778.

Good luck!

10. monicagee

monicagee Well-Known Member

Congrats on Amex!!!! :-D

Maybe I'll get up the nerve to apply. Still getting over the Citi Approval.

11. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

Cyprigirl, Thanks for the info! I hate dealing with idiots. Any advice on how to approach them? What have you used on them that has been succesful so far?

12. Cyprigirl

Congrats on your Citi approval, i still remember the elation of finally hitting prime time.

13. Cyprigirl

Tommyy:

I strongly suggest you side step the Customer Service and send your fax and explain to them why they should be reconsider, give them new info or better info.

By the way they pull Experian, they pull a soft inquiry in the original application and if denied and you want reconsideration they pull a hard inquiry.

But do not talk to CS, they really have no clue,

Let me tell my story, I called yesterday and spoke with a rep who is the only one that had it right to begin with and then I called back leter to confirm my approval and find out when they would open my account, guess what, I had been declined, then they denied that I even called and spoke to a rep earlier who specifically told me I was approved, I spoke to several people and at that point I had a serious headache and went to bed because I could not believe the incompetance, I wastold three different things in one phone call.

So I called this morning and I finally met someone who had some sense..... and the rest is history.....

You are forewarned.

14. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Congrat Cypri:)

I totally agree with the incompetence of their customer service. I got approved for my LOC roughly 3 weeks ago got my checks no problem right, wrong they now want address verification before they will let me use the line, so just be very careful with them there is something not right about their whole banking division, Saar also had this verfication nonsense AFTER the fact.

15. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Happy dance for ya girl! $5,000 is a very decent LOC for AMEX. Enjoy!

16. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

Cypri,
    Again many thanks. What number did you call to avoid customer service?

17. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!

18. Cyprigirl

thanks again!

Tommyy, there is no number to call just fax your letter to them, believe me you don't want to tlak to them,,,lol

19. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Hey cool! Finally got your foot in the door! Nice!

Is that fax number good for reconsideration of cards as well? Or only Membership Banking?

20. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

Hello again, Its sad that a customer has to avoid the customer service department when they need assistance. They probably need to turn the heat down in their sweat shop. How long did it take after faxing your letter for someone to call you? And how long was it before being approved? Same day?
    Thanks again!