Finding collection agency

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MaxedOut, Aug 30, 2003.

1. MaxedOut

MaxedOut Active Member

I'm new and clueless.

I just go my 3 credit reports, I have 8 unpaid revolving charge-offs.

I know they have been referred to collection agencies, but the CRs only give the OC information.

I don't get any letters or calls from CAs, so I have no idea which CA I need to send my validation requests to.

I don't want to call the OC about it because I am afraid of inadvertantly "validating" these debts.

How can I find the contact information for the CAs?

Thanks,

Max

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

If their not reporting, and you haven't heard from them, they may still be in house.

Do you show any inquiries from collection agencies on your reports?

3. MaxedOut

MaxedOut Active Member

I have a couple of inquiries:

Northland Group & NCO

But I have no idea which accounts they represent.

Also, I have a CO that is listed as "sold" - but I have no idea who it was sold to.

Thanks,

Max

4. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Hmmm...

There are several ways you can go about this. But! Are you really prepared to wake the beasts?

If you are - you could dispute all the accounts as not mine...they WILL start contacting you.

You could write Northland and NCO and ask them what their permissable purpose was for pulling your report - if they don't have one, send you $1000.
    (The CRA's will have their address). That will get their blood pumping.

It all depends on your final goals...

Has the SOL for your state expired for any/all of these? Are you prepared to pay to make them go away?

5. MaxedOut

MaxedOut Active Member

I'm not sure what the SOL is in my case (I live in California).

The law says that for "open accounts" the SOL is 4 years for "reduced to writing" and 2 years for "no writing" - I have no idea what "Reduced to writing" means.

Idealy I would like to settle for something close to what I originally owed (they keep adding fees and interest even though it charged-off a couple of years ago) in return for a TL deletion.

I am leery about disputing as "not mine" anyway, because they mostly ARE mine. (But there is one for $1,596 which really IS not mine, which I will dispute without a doubt)

But I still need validation of the amount owed because it is profoundly higher than my original CL - so I need to know which CAs are handling my accounts.

Am I on the right track here, what would you do if you were me?

Thanks,

Max