First USA raising interest rat

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by nelsonfan, Apr 17, 2001.

1. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

Hi, I need some advice. About 4 years ago I got my First USA card. I signed an agreement to 9.9% FIXED on my balance transfer and all purchases. On my March statement I noticed my interest rate was 16.49%. I called them to find out why. They said a notice was sent in my January statement that I could close my account and keep my 9.9% fixed until the balance was paid off. I never received a notice, if I did it looked like one of the other 5 pieces of junk mail that is in my statement every month. I have sent 1 letter and called twice. Should I complain on the planetfeedback site? What should I say? All I want is my 9.9% fixed back until the balance is paid off. I will happily close my account and never do business with them again. Now, I find out First USA is buying Wachovia. Just great. I have a $3000.00 low interest rate with them. Now, First USA will probably raise that interest rate,too. Please send me some good advice. Thanks.

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Re: First USA raising interest

Nelsonfan,
    Hi, FirstUSA sent me notice about changing the terms of my my my First USA Yahoo Visa to 16.49% like you. I got my Yahoo Visa March statement instead of rasing my APR they lower my APR to 9.9 % APR. I don't knbow why they did that and by the way I didn't carry balances on the card because they have two cyscles terms. I have some other card have 9.9% fixed APR with single cycles.

Ron.

3. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

LOL Nelsonfan, First USA isn't buying Wachovia...it's First Union (check my ip and you'll know why I know this).

At any rate, I'd call and throw a fit because that happened to me with Associates a while back. Then I'd close the account...not very many people have nice things to say about First USA

4. john

john Well-Known Member

Shantel...if you work there, then you should also know that Bank One(aka FUSA) bought Wachovia's credit card portfolio a few weeks ago...sorry, I couldn't resist...

5. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I work at First UNION...not Wachovia. I bank with them but have no CC so that doesn't concern me. However, since Nelsonfan didn't elaborate (and I don't know how much common knowledge it is that Bank One is FUSA) then the above is my story and I'm sticking to it....smarty pants!

6. john

john Well-Known Member

Of course you don't work at Wachovia, I just figured you might have read about the Bank One/Wachovia transaction due to the proposed acquistion by FU of Wachovia.

Your story is accurate and you were just missing a piece of puzzle.

I knew I shouldn't have posted first comment...no offense Shantel...I was just having fun : )

P.S. I used to work at a major bank as a Network Administrator and we used to get requests from various business units to investigate improper use of company equipment/resources. Just be careful about posting to sites like this that show the IP address of the computer/proxy that you are using.

Nothing will probably ever happen but you never know...some PR jerk in the credit card division with nothing better to do could be researching these boards and could request an investigation of everyone accessing these sites who work at FU....and that could be trouble because these sites allow people to express views that may or may not reflect favorably on a particular CC company.

As I said, I wouldn't sweat it too much...just something to consider..

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I HAVE A FIRST USA BALANCE TRANSFER RATE OF 3.90% GO TO RATE OF 13.90%........

GOING UP TO 22.49%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?????????

COMPLAINING ABOUT 16.49% ???????

NEVER LATE ANYWHERE, NEVER OVER LIMIT ANYWHERE, NO COLLECTION ANYWHERE, NO BK EVER...

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

TO CLARIFY...

BANK ONE/FIRST USA WILL "SERVICE" WACHOVIA'S CREDIT CARDS...
    FIRST UNION IS BUYING WACHOVIA BANK...

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Re: TO CLARIFY...

George,
    Why don't you call them to complain about the rate of your First USA card?

Ron.

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I DID.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

George,
    What did they tell you? They didn't raise my rate instead they lower my rate from 16.49% to 9.9% APR.

Ron.

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THEY SAID SOMETHING ABOUT INCREASED COSTS (PRIME went down 1.50%)???...all I have to do is write to the address given to be received by MAY 1, 2001 and they will close my account and I can keep the 13.90%

I WILL CALL AGAIN...
    SEE WHAT THE SAY...

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

George,
    Why don't you call them again? You may get the other rep and they may lower your rate. I haven't asked them to lower my Yahoo and Smert Visa rate. I think they are pretty good. The only time I asked them to increase the limit of my Yahoo Visa to $9800 and they approved me within 5 minutes. They pulled hard inquiry from Experian credit report. Keep me post how it turns out.

Ron.

14. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

First USA at it again.

If your FICO score dips below 680 and they pull an account review inquiry, FirstUSA will automatically send you an interest rate increase notice if you have the 9.9% fixed rate card. The increase will depend on exactly what the score was.

They are trying very hard to get rid of all of the 9.9% cards as fast as they can.

They have tried this twice on me. I call and request that the card be cancelled. I get transferred to the retention department and they put it back to 9.9%.

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Re: First USA at it again.

J. Edgar,
    They had raise my interest rate from 9.99% fixed to 13.49% and this year they sent me notice they going to raise to 16.49%. Well, they didn't raise interest rate and they lower my APR back down to 9.9% APR. By the way, I pay off my balance monthly and I didn't carry over balances for last two years. It won't matter that they raise my interest rates and I had some other kind cards having 9.9 fixed APR.

Ron.

16. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Yes, the last time they tried to pull that on me, they tried to raise it to 13.49%. I had no balance on the card at the time, so they weren't going to make any money off of raising my rate anyhow. I guess that's why they agreed to put it back to 9.9%. Actually it's 9.99%. The sneakily tacked the extra .09% on at some point. I missed that.

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

J. Edgar,
    It is not a good idea to caay balance on the card with 9.9% APR with two cycle billings and I heard over the web that First USA will raise interest rate when you carried a high balnce on the card. I never to purchase any thing over $100 on that card and I had some other cards having 9.9% APR with single cycle billing. First USA blocked my card when I make purchse over three times a day and I never use this card during travelling.

Ron.