First USA--true story just now...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by David, May 6, 2001.

1. David

David Well-Known Member

I JUST SENT THE FOLLOWING EMAIL TO FIRST USA (who's account I've had in excellent standing for over two years)

ENJOY :)

To Whom It May Concern:

Approximately 45 minutes ago, I phoned your customer service center regarding a credit line increase. After giving the required information, I was asked my permission to be put on hold. I agreed.

When the rep returned, he said "our computer systems are down and we can't pull a credit report at this time, the information will be stored and you'll receive a response in the mail in two weeks".

I then called Citibank and recieved the credit line increase I was seeking.

I then immediately called First USA to retract/cancel the request, and was basically told "there's nothing we can do, once the request is in the computer system--we can't stop it".

I told the second rep that this is unacceptable--3 times no less.

To say we can't control our own computer system or what it does is as laughable as it is ludicrous.

Therefore, you will be receiving a payoff on the 15th of this month, along with a instructions to close the account.

And, you will also be receiving a dispute when the inquirey shows up on my credit bureau.

As a customer, I'm not in the habit of sitting on my thumbs for my financial needs while your computer systems are up/down/sideways; in addition, if your reps are no more impowered or informed than they apparently came off over the phone, then I would suggest you implement a retraining program at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

David Hill

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Wow! You seem pretty steamed. I can't blame you. I think it sucks that they pull your credit reports for increases anyway.

Maybe they will respond with an apr reduction.

3. David

David Well-Known Member

I am steamed--I could tell by the way the last rep kept stuttering and stammering around that they're trained to spit out canned responses--

Computers down? Please...I pull bureaus every day...

If you're not going to give me the freakin' increase, just say so--we're all big boys and girls...

Jeez...I think I'm steamin' up the monitor....

:)

4. David

David Well-Known Member

Oh, and let me tell you my Capital One experience from March (a little history lesson: I had TWO Cap Ones for like two years--MC & VISA--back in 1996-99 range; one with a $200 limit, the other with $400 (after it started out at $200). Never late, never over limit, usually paid off in full each month.

Anyways, I closed them after 18-28 or 30 months; I'm feelin' all good about myself at that time, don't need these piddly subprime cards, etc. and so on.

Fast forward to March 2001; after getting pre-approvals from them like every other day, and--seeing their hicidity TV commercials--I think "OK, let me send in for this here GOLD Card" (thinking they're finally pulling into the prime market).

So, I get the card--it's all pretty Gold (not like them plain ones I had a couple years ago :))--and of course you have to call to activate (while I'm looking everywhere on the letter for the limit--where the hell is it?).

Anyway, I'm thinking while I'm calling "...probably a $2000 limit, could be $1500--they are still kinda subprimey" (thinkin' this in my head).

Then I hear the recording: "Congratulations, your credit line is $200"--at which time.

Then I start looking around for the Candid Camera guy.

So, in my "why the hell did you waste my time" mode, I call customer service, and start cutting it up with scissors. "Well, sir, as a blah blah manager, I can increase your credit line right now to $500!" (after I've already told them to close this just-activated card).

End of story, I had to tell them FIVE times to close the damn thing. The rep did throw in a question of something like "Did you have a major purchase in mind sir?"

To which I replied: "Not really, but if I go to Hardee's and then pick up a 6 pack, I don't want to go over my credit limit".

THEN he closed the account and the call was ended.

David
    :)

5. SisterGirl

SisterGirl Well-Known Member

I recently told these people to kiss my a$$ since I have had my account for over 6 yrs w/NO LINE INCREASE,& then tehy told me recently that they were increasing my APR to 22.49% ! They must have thought I had no alternative;I immediately wrote a line of credit check(from my $10,0000 unsecured line w/Bank one)to pay them off in full. I deposited the check into my Credit Union account(so they could not say BANK ONE/FIRST USA could not pay each other),then wrote the check from that account.

They suck & I let them know it.

Sister Girl

6. David

David Well-Known Member

You go girl--I think I'll write "Kiss Mine AND Sister Girls Ass" on the memo on the check.

Do I have your permission?

David :)

7. SisterGirl

SisterGirl Well-Known Member

Certainly.....you may "quote" me.

Sister Girl

p.s.---it pays to have fee-free accounts w/credit unions; larger banks are offering them more & more to stay competitive w/the smaller institutions.