First USA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Gurinder, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Gurinder

Gurinder Guest

First USA sent a credit offer with my information to an address where I was not living for more than 2 years. Someone from the address where they sent the credit card offer applied for the credit cards. I never received any information on the issuance of credit card to the old address. After about 6 months I was forwarded a letter stating that I owed First USA credit charges in amount of approx $200. And they had gone ahead and put this information in my credit history. I would like to know what action,if any I can take against FirstUSA for tarnishing my credit history when I never applied for credit card, credit offer was never sent to my actual address, and I never had any information on the issuance of credit in my name.

Thanks
    Gurinder

2. heather

heather Well-Known Member

I used to work for First USA, unfortunatley not defending them at all trust me, there is an error with updating the mailing addresses with the U.S. Postal service. Unfortunately also there is little that can be done as far as pursuing legal action. Have you reported the account as fraud with First USA. If this is done they will mail you an affidavit to complete and return and once they receive it back they will investigate the account which takes about 90 days from the day they receive your letter back and they are usually pretty good about reaging (updating your credit history) promptly.

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I don't understand? How could someone of applied for the card in your name? They would have to know your SSN and DOB? Ususally those offers are just that...*Offers*. You still need to provide them w/ information on yourself.

4. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Actually this is not true. If you receive a pre approved solicitation in the mail someone can complete and it does not require alot of general info. they already have on file. Also if someone takes a solicitation that is in y our name and decides they want that offer so they scratch off your name and fill it out with there info. that will not work it will still be signed up for with your name and social. This is a big misconception people do not realize. A solicitation can only be filled out to pull the credit report for the person it is issued to.

5. Saar

Saar Banned

If you did not report it to the Police as soon as you found out about it, it will raise some doubts at the fraud department.

Saar

6. Desdemona

Desdemona Well-Known Member

Let me see if I understand this correctly. I receive a "pre-approved" from First USA in the name of my say my brother-in-law I can just sign it (with his name) and a First USA card will came in his name? According to you I don't have to supply a SS # because First USA has it on record? What responablitiy does First USA have to verify that my brother-in-law "really" signed the application?

7. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Exactly! Every pre-approval offer that I have seen has at least asked for signature and SSN!

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I don't think so, EVERY preapproval I have ever received atleast requires that you provide a social security number.

Mom