First USA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by David B, Apr 27, 2000.

1. David B

David B Guest

I am thinking about applying for a card from First USA because they have a "partner card" with the union I'm in and they promise 9.9% apr and no annual fee. I have never dealt with First USA so please tell me if they are good to deal with. I mostly want the card for my union's logo not so much because I need the card.

2. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

First USA is almost certainly the WORST "prime" credit card grantor in the industry. Their list of faults would fill many pages foremost of which is their consistant policy to screw their customers with "sub-prime" tacticts. Furthermore, many persons who would never willingly come close to this bank find their accounts taken over when their bank is swallowed by either First USA or its parent Bank One.

Take a look at this site http://members.tripod.com/FUSA1/
    probably the foremost, but certainly not the only site dedicated to exposing First USA's horrors.

If after reading the messages and going through the links you are still inclined to to apply for their care I wish you lots of luck...you'll need it!

3. Mo

Mo Guest

What Steven Z said.

Also, another site for gripes and kudos on various lenders and cards, and First USA is prominently panned there by
    customers:

http://www.webbbox.com/list.htm

4. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

Go ahead and investigate them like the other 2 responders say. My experience has not been bad. They do offer teaser rates on a regular basis and their United Airlines free miles card is good enough to earn a couple of thousand miles a year with my X.com account. Just my opinion.

http://www.creditsense.com

5. Michelle

Michelle Guest

I have been with First USA for a year and half with a 9.9% rate and have not had one problem.

6. Claude Van

Claude Van Guest

If you manage to make all payments way ahead of time, and don't let things pile up --- that's all of us, Right?? First USA is ok. Rates are great, and they keep promises. However one time they increased rates on me with a mailing that I did not read in time to respond to. It took a lettter to a couple of federal agencies to get an apology and a re-reduction in rate.

More reciently, I had made a cardinal mistake of letting the card get up to several thousand dollars, and sent in payments not so far in advance as usual. They claimed I missed the payments (two days late) on two consecutive months and Poof!!! Up to 27% from 13.9%. Took me 10 months before I could get them to lower it.

Finally, however, I did manage to reach a gentleman who lowered the rate to 16% and gave me a $50 credit toward the account. I almost have the thing paid off now, and will distroy it when I have it paid off.

Van!!

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

you just haven't had it long enough - just wait - they screwed us after 2 1/2 yrs with their card - no late payments ever. Raised our rate from 9.9 to 16.74 - they said they can raise it whenever they want. Good luck, you'll need it