FirstUSA is at it again

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by J. Edgar, Sep 1, 2000.

1. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Well the boobs at FirstUSA have done it again! Today I get in the mail yet another 2 letters from them each confriming the closure of the accounts that I had to write to them 3 times to close, having already gotten letters 3 weeks ago about it. The letters clearly stated that the account were closed to new charges as of some date in July (different for each one).

But wait there's more:

Nestled in among the letters from FirstUSA, the large envelopes screaming in red, "You may have already won a gazillion dollars", the offers for home equity lines of credit, and urgent pleas to send money to help affluenza victims in Beverly Hills, Great Neck, Boca Raton, and La Jolla, were sets of convenience checks for each of the 'closed' accounts!!!

Can you say 'deceptive trade practice?' Sure you can.....

2. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

I know this whole thing amuses you but have you ever considered giving them a taste of their own medicine and playing head games with them.

In that, you could draft up a nice letter (on a lawfirm's stationary naturally) and send it off to "somebody" high enough in management stating that you are 'tired' of their incompetence and blatant 'deceptive trade practices' and may see yourself filing a lawsuit against them if they continue. As it is you are 'considering' sending copies of all these numerous account closure letters along with the convenience cheques off these 'closed accounts' to the FTC, Banking Commission, AG as well as the rest of the 'usual suspects'.

Personally, I would contact them by both voice and letter and inform them to take me off all theirs', their affliates, divisions and subsidiaries and to forbid any transfer of personal information to any company they are doing business with (with the sole exception of the CRA's and the IRS), to never, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES contact me again in any way, shape or form or you will consider it harassment and take the proper measures.

But like I said you do seem to enjoy this, similarly to Doris K who 'adores' her non-stop solicitation from People's Bank :)

3. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I guess you think they are trying to con you into using the checks. I doubt it. I think their systems are as incompetent as many of the other banks. They all make stupid mailings, their systems are not smart enough. I love Chase, but they send me checks with teaser rates right after I have used their line. Of course, with the power of all my lines, I am always able to pay any line and re-borrow at the lower rate.
    It pays to diversify.

Profit from the experience.

http://www.creditsense.com

4. J. Edgar

I can't wait until 6 months ticks by and I get the "We miss you so much, please give us another chance and open another account with us" solicitation. That seems to be standard operating procedure, at least with Chase, Capital One, and Bank of America.

Quite frankly, these cretins aren't worth the effort to write another letter to, even to mess with their head. They'd only lose it or ignore it again anyhow.

5. J. Edgar

Actually, I don't think they are smart enough to have even thought of that. I think it's just another case of bungling imcompetence in a large bureaucratic organization where there is no communication among departments. The account closure is typical handled by credit card operations and the checks come out of marketing. God forbid they should talk to each other.

6. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

They aren't incompetent. They are absolute asswipes, and all their actions are deliberate. Their biggest department is bound to be the one that gauges just how much they can screw their customers and get away with it. They'll never learn because they don't care, and the only way they'll ever stop is by going belly-up or by being taken over by another institution.

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

"Asswipes" does indeed describe the situation
    quite visually! :) Dog

8. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

Its one thing to get those kind of letters from Columbia House, quite another from a abhorent company thats responsible for you being bombarded with unsolicited trash and phone calls by passing along your info to all their subsidiaries, affliates, business partners and surely selling it to marketing and data companies.

I thought you held your privacy in high regard?

"They'd only lose it or ignore it again anyhow."

Silly of me to forget this is First USA the worst "prime" bank in the USA and an outright criminal organisation we're talking about.

While its true their is massive incompetence prevalent in this company I must agree with Doris K, their actions are premeditated. The management is extremely arrogant and corrupt could care less about the markets and their own shareholders disapproval and will keep at it until they're forced into bankruptcy or taken over; where you better believe they have giant golden parachutes already set up.

And while I have had singular success in drafting letters to other companies legal departments AND getting a real response (not some irrelevant form letter) First USA is a different animal altogether. What you say is true as far as them throwing out most letters and ignoring the rest. One of the few methods that has shown to be successful with these "asswipes" is to have the letter notarized and send it directly to the legal department, anywhere else would be futile.

9. J. Edgar

Steven Z wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Its one thing to get those kind of letters from Columbia House, quite another from a abhorent company thats responsible for you being bombarded with unsolicited trash and phone calls by passing along your info to all their subsidiaries, affliates, business partners and surely selling it to marketing and data companies.

I thought you held your privacy in high regard?

Actually I do, but I really don't get bothered by alot of telemarketing and such. All of the banks and such have my cell phone number, not a land line number. This means their third party marketers won't ever dial my number because their autodialing software looks up my number and knows it's a cell phone from the area code and exchange and won't call it. Telemarketing someone on their cell phone is actually a criminal violation of federal law, not merely a civil one. They are not willing to take that risk.

All of my mail goes to my PO Box and in fact, my actual residential address is in no computer anywhere. The only address that the CRAs have in my record is the PO and an ancient street address from years ago as my 'former address'. I've never had any trouble using the PO Box because it matches exactly with what's in my credit file. They just assume the street address that's listed is where I actually live. If I'm actually forced to use a street address for whatever reason, I just use that and there's no problem, because there's a match. I tell whoever it is that they should send all mail to the PO Box because I "am experiencing trouble with mail delivery at the street address."

So Acxiom and InformationAmerica can just have a field day if they want trying to pigeon-hole me in their demographics products. It's probably all wrong anyhow.