Fixing Your Credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mona, Jun 13, 2000.

1. Mona

Mona Guest

I've recently gotten copies of my credit reports and lots of things are still showing unpaid when in fact they are paid. It was at least 6 things that were wrong. I sent in my dispute form, is there anything that I can do while I'm waiting for the investigation? I don't want this to ruin my chances of getting an apartment.

2. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

Credit reports take an average of two to four months to relfect the actual truth. (many people will argue with this fact, but its what actually takes place). So, if you are waiting for something you just paid within the last few weeks, expect no changes.

Show any prospective landlord copies of your cancelled checks if paying off old accounts become an issue.

3. Eric

Eric Guest

My interpretation is that those items are older than 2-4 months, Jim.

Unfortunately it will take AT LEAST 30-60 days for disputed items to be corrected by the bureaus. And that's assuming you nail them all in the first round.

4. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

Right, so it takes 2-4 months for the records to reflect the truth. The only proof she has the items are paid is cancelled checks and statements from the creditors.

The only other thing she could do is get letters showing zero balances from the creditors.