For all to read

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Gosh I believe my previous post about my offer is getting quite the conversation. I always appreciated anyone's advice and happy to get it. I initially contacted the agency, they never tried to collect, so to my knowledge they really didn't violate any law? I asked for help and Kristi offered a great letter for me to try to settle this debt. Well I took my chances and sent it, knowing that they may/may not accept it. Unfortunately they did not and so I will try another way and if that fails repeat and if I have to end up paying it with no deletion, atleast I know I tried my very best. I do appreciate all your advice and keep it coming:)

2. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Mom,

That is exactly what can happen. Sometimes they do not take your offer right away and sometimes you need to apply pressure. If all the things in the letter were true and the debt is legally expired then have no fear to call and give them an ear full. Legally they CANNOT sue you if the debt is expired and you dispute the attempted suit with the expired sol. A letter is a good start but you may need to follow up with counter offers, faxes, and even highlighting the portion of the FCRA and faxing it to a supervisor to show that it is not illegal to remove an item. They simply don't want to remove it. There is no guarantee that an attorneys letter will have any better results but then you will have spent money that could have gone towards an eventual settlement.

The biggest thing a debt collector looks for is for you to "Gicve in". They will swear up and down that nothing can be done because they think you either want it to bad or they sense you are trying for a home loan or something. If this is too much for you to handle, try finding an attorney who only charges about $50.00 bucks fo the letter or a debt negotiatior to do the offer. There is no guarantee with any of those tactics, that it will work. My only point is that if you do not try hard enough, waiver in your stand or seem intimidated, the collector will sense that.

I did collections for 16 years and trust me when I say, we held out until we felt you were not going to budge. Then and only then would we accept the offer, but we accepted negotiated debts all the time! We always claimed that it was not possible the first 3 or 4 rounds. It's just the way the game is played and you won't always win. Some people are simply not cut out to be negotiators while others find it thrilling to keep arguing the point home (me lol).

Good luck mom and know when to hold em and know when to fold em!

Momof3 wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Gosh I believe my previous post about my offer is getting quite the conversation. I always appreciated anyone's advice and happy to get it. I initially contacted the agency, they never tried to collect, so to my knowledge they really didn't violate any law? I asked for help and Kristi offered a great letter for me to try to settle this debt. Well I took my chances and sent it, knowing that they may/may not accept it. Unfortunately they did not and so I will try another way and if that fails repeat and if I have to end up paying it with no deletion, atleast I know I tried my very best. I do appreciate all your advice and keep it coming:)

3. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

Here's A good Idea momof3...
    Call them Up tell them the Debt is expired.. And Tell them If they don't delete it, IT's very simple They wont get the money period and that your gonna wait it out. Or get the money now which is immposible to get anyway now or later and delete the item. Simply tell them you know how it works and to stop giving you BS. And be serious about it. Leave them your phone number if you have to if they consider. And be very serious NO DELETATION NO MONEY. Offcourse later on if all else fails you could still pay it . and have it as marked . (just pretend that you don;t know this, and that u'll never pay with out a deletation. )
    Good luck .
    Give them BS just like they give you .

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

still a little confused though

Thanks I am still confused though, I have read through Kristi's site and the FCRA sites. This collection orginated in PA, we now reside in VA and the agency is in FL. So I really want to make sure the SOL has expired before I give them a fight.

5. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

RE: still a little confused th

Oh I c .. Well .. Ur still very close if it already hadn't expired .
    wish u the best of luck ..