For beginners

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Dustin, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

This is a small file I am giving to my Mom, and thought I would share it with you. It is by all means not complete, but it is a start.

Some info I have collected:

Creditnet - www.creditnet.com - Credit Repair info, Message board
    Quality Credit Repair- www.qualitycreditrepair.com - Info, book, Message board
    Credit Mania - www.creditmania.com - Info, links, Message board
    Carreon & Associates - www.carreonandassociates.com - Lots of info, book

There are more, but this is a good start. Check out the message boards, read the articles.
    Basically there are a few steps to start:

1. Obtain all 3 credit reports.
    2. Dispute negative entries (the older, paid off ones usually come off easy).
    3. They will send you an updated copy. Dispute a few more items.
    4. Once the new updated report comes, start calling offering a settlement.
    5. Pay off collections first.
    6. Some companies will re-instate your account if you bring it current.
    7. When negotiating, try for a full payment, but make sure that you try and negotiate a
    positive credit report!
    8. ALWAYS GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!!

After that, it gets a little more complicated. There are little tips to getting the above accomplished in the sites above. Read as much as you can before starting, you will have a greater chance of getting negative items removed, easier negotiations, etc.

Good Luck!!

--Dustin

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

good job!

There are so many new-old questions on the board as late. Good Job in getting everyone some organized references.

roni

3. Debbie

Debbie Guest

This is good information. I found that my exhusband's credit is appearing on my report and causing me to be denied due to high limits. Called all credit card companies (three times) and it still is there. I just don't know what to do!!!

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Get off being authorized and joint , and get a letter from the companies stating it is an error. Amex will be very polite and do this.

Auth user accounts can be good AND bad at the same time :)