For the Experts!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by greyfox, Mar 15, 2001.

1. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

I need to know what to do to correct something.

In Oct of 1997, my son had a collection item deleted from his credit report. Then, In Sept. 1998, it showed up again under the name of a different collection agency. Same bill as had been deleted, from Southwestern Bell.

I wrote to the local CB and questioned their re-inserting this item without notifying him, and all they did was to send the usual "we have verified this item and re-inserted it" reply. My understanding is that they are in violation by re-nserting without notifying him. Also, they have re-aged this thing.

My question is, do I write to the CB again at this point, or to the collection bureau with a validation letter, and how can they validate a phone bill? It isn't a lot of money, but we don't want it showing as a paid collection when it has already been deleted once.

Thanks,
    Greyfox

2. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

dispute it with the CRA as "not mine" and also write to the collection agency to validate this debt to you. Go through the validation process.. after this, then write again to the CRA and say "not mine" providing the proof you have then. I highly doubt the collection agencies will have all the information you demand from them..

Check Marie's letters for more information.. I believe it is under validation1, validation2?

3. greyfox

To Ender:

Will the fact that we have already questioned the re-insertion after deletion invalidate the dispute as "not mine"? The letter we sent doesn't dispute it as "not mine" but doesn't verify it, either...just questions the legality of the CB re-inserting the item without notification.

4. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Re: To Ender:

I think they are required to remove things after 30 days without verification but if they later verify it they are allowed to reinsert. I'm not sure about the notice part though...

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Yes I don't believe that have to notify if they reinsert information, they don't notiy when accounts are entered in the first place, but maybe I am wrong ??

6. Saar

Saar Banned

Erik is correct.

Also, the CRA does not re-insert anything. If a collection agency (=CRA subscriber) buys the debt, it is legally entitled to report it (though not as a duplicate).

The FCRA does not require anyone to notify you if the debt was sold and is now reported by its new owner.

Saar

7. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

YOu should just dispute it as either "NOT MINE" or "NOT ACCURATE" or "INCORRECT". You don't want to be specific enough that it is yours, but just dispute enough to get rid of it..

You should also send the validation letter to the collection so they don't reinsert into your report in the future. If they do, then they violate the FCRA and you can sue them.. if you get to that point, refer to the posts that lizardking posted..

8. greyfox

Pulled a credit report today..

And this item has been deleted! It was just in January that we were notified it had been verified....go figure!

Guess I'll tell my son to hurry and apply for what credit he wants now, before it ends up back on the report ;)