Fraud by Lawyers on Interrogatories??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by WTFCQ, Jul 8, 2010.

1. WTFCQ

WTFCQ New Member

I rented an apartment where the manager was a jerk. I paid my rent with money orders and kept the receipts. I kept all receipts and paid in full. He didn't like my dog and hassled me so I left - but paid in full. I moved cross country and then like a year or two later get a summons to court to for failure to pay rent etc.!!! I couldn't afford to go back across the country or to hire a lawyer - so the case went to court and I lost of course. Now they're STILL trying to get $$ out of me - even though I'm marginally employed (self). I got a piece of mail forwarded to me saying I have 10 days from "service" to reply to interogatories about my employment and assets or they will issue a bench warrant to arrest me!!! WTF?!!

I have like three days left to do something. But what? I'm not going to tell them anything - I can barely survive on what I make now. I'm homeless and live in my car! What can I do? What will happen with a contempt of court bench warrant in another state? This sucks. I'm in my mid-50s....and am just sick about it. I have the receipts and all the proof I paid. It was in storage before so I couldn't even send them copies before. Any suggestions?

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Since you didn't reply or show up for the suit, they have a judgment against you. In most states judgments are for 10 years or more, and can often be renewed.

You need to answer the summons but answer honestly. Tell them what assets you have. If you have your money in cash it will be harder to find. But to not answer is contempt of court. What can happen in another state depends on the agreements the states have. But if you ever return to the other state you could be arrested immediately. This is not something to take lightly.