fraud was committed.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Fraud Help, Nov 16, 2000.

1. Fraud Help

Fraud Help Guest

I hope that someone can answer me, and do it seriously. Here is my situation. A few months ago, my roommate bailed on me, and left me with the bills, to retaliate against her, I applied for credit in her name to ARIA, and got a 1000 limit, I got the card, and used it, I know what I did was seriously illegal, and regret I ever did it. I paid back the card, and typed a letter and mailed it requesting the account to be closed. There is a zero balance.

My question, is, what are the chances of me getting prosecuted for this childish act I did? I know it was wrong, and I will never do it again, I thought I'd be getting back at her, but all I've succeeded in doing the past few months is worrying about it! I think that I've been punished enough, worrying. Do you think that anything could happen? What if she finds out? Honestly, what is the worst that can happen?

Thanks for any and all info.

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I wouldnot tell anyone else and keep my fingers crossed. But if you missed a payment and gave your roommate any kind of negative credit rating, you better have some denials ready and some good ones. You could be pushed with $5,000 fines.

roni.

3. pat

pat Guest

keep your MOUTH SHUT.

If any one asks you anthing, you say 4 words:

I WANT A LAWYER.
    Do not confirm or deny anything. Do not discuss the matter with anyone, not by phone, not at all. If they ask, say I WANT A LAWYER. If you get arrested, say I WANT A LAWYER.
    Then get a lawyer.

4. pat

pat Guest

answers

I suggest you call Attorney Dennis Alan Lempert:
    1-800-700-5152
    or (650) 325-5152 if that doesn't work.
    Mr. Lempert is the smartest lawyer I know. He has been a criminal lawyer for about 30 years- the first 11 as a prosecutor.
    Call him & ask his opinion.

5. Anon

Anon Guest

Not good.

You did commit fraud and it would be within the state's rights (actually, Federal too since Providian is a national bank) to prosecute. Probably won't happen since there was no direct loss (i.e. Providian didn't file a complaint against you).

Did you cause your former roommate harm? Perhaps by lowering her credit score ... but she'd have to start the whole chain of events (dispute with bureau, contact Providian, file police report re: fraud, etc.).

Everyone else's comments are good ones - KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT and ignore it ever happened. Have you destoyed the card and all receipts/statements yet? Have you filed a "no longer at this address" notice with the post office for your former roommate?

Good luck - and LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKE. It's not just a fine you were (or could be) facing - we're talking felony and potential jail time (unlikely though). Sounds like you "get it" and beat yourself up about it and won't do it again.

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Remember, if you get caught, never sign a statement, or say anything without the presence of an attorney, no matter what they say.

:)

"I PLEAD THE 5th" you're god given right.

Why on earth would you do that? Identity fraud is now very serious. I don't know when you did it, but recent laws made it much more serious than it used to be.

7. FBI

FBI Guest

Your in big trouble i know what you did last summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!