Frauded On Ebay....amex

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by arobinson, Jul 3, 2001.

1. arobinson

arobinson Well-Known Member

Hello, please advise. I recently bid and won a $1350.00 iBOOK on eBAY. I paid for the auction with American Express Gold Charge. The seller sent me a box with speakers, and some software, DEFINATLY not the $1350.00 computer I paid for.

Seller swears up and down that he sent the computer, but he is unable to provide me with a serial number, or anything proving he ever owned the said laptop.

He says that once I signed for the package it was my responsiblity. He says it is not his fault.

Can I dispute the charge with AMEX? I understand that the will ask for signed proof of delivery, well I did sign the USPS form, but didnt open the box until the next day, b/c I was in a hurry. Will AMEX side with me and take my word for it? I also have pictures, and a signed affidavit from my fiancee' stating that the computer was not in there.

Will I receive a refund with AMEX? I called them up but they told me that they could not investigate the matter until I was billed for it, which is July 22nd.

The funny thing is the seller had a high feedback. He also apparently used a friends store to process my card payment, as the seller and merchant charging my card were completely different. What are my rights? Please help.

I have already filed fraud with USPS, and IFCCFBI.GOV.

Help me please.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

$1350 AND YOU DIDN'T OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY?

EVEN IF YOU WERE IN A HURRY...YOU COULD HAVE A CREDITABLE WITNESS AND HE/SHE COULD HAVE HELPED YOU TAKE PICTURES OR JUST RETURNED IT REFUSED.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS APPLIES...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    These items are not verified by eBay; caveat emptor.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

AMEX WILL PROBABLY CREDIT YOU, I THINK...

4. arobinson

arobinson Well-Known Member

no I didnt open it right away, I felt comfortable that the seller has a 600+ on ebay. The bottom line is I never received what I ordered. I think a chargeback is in order. I never signed when the postman was there, he left me a slip in my mailbox to sign, I had no idea what it was for, so I signed it, and 2 days later the package was left on my doorstep. I dont know if insurance covers it or not.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

-------------------------------------------------------
    ...2 days later the package was left on my doorstep.
    --------------------------------------------------------

NOW THE STORY CHANGES...

2 DAYS LATER IS A WHOLE 'NOTHER STORY...
    JUST MY OPINION...AMEX WILL GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK AND "CHARGE IT BACK" TO THE BUSINESS...THEY WILL ASK YOU TO SHIP EVERYTHING TO THEM IN THE ORIGINAL BOX...

6. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

FYI, the "seller" likely has numerous sign-in profiles and gave himself most of those 600 positives. It's a typcial scam.

I'm no expert, but I think AMEX will likely back you, especially in light of the fact that the seller cannot provide proof of a serial number, etc.

The da that AMEX bill hits, file your formal complaint IN WRITING (also call again to get the process rolling, but oral reporting only does NOT protect your rights.)

Just my humble opinion.

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Please write to safeharbor at eby and report this. They will help you!

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

eBay only covers up to $200 in their Safe Harbor policy. Over that amount, they recommend using escrow services.

breeze

9. Tuit

Tuit Well-Known Member

Maybe the weight on the package will help prove that the laptop was not in the box

10. nursie

nursie Well-Known Member

He swears he sent the computer. Does he claim he sent it in a different box? If he did, he should have a tracking number.
    Or did he send a big box that was basically empty? Would a computer have fit into the box with the speakers & program?
    If you signed for 1 box, and a computer system obviously wouldn't have fit (I don't think it would...it would've taken several boxes), you have an easy case to prove.

11. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

nursie: it's a laptop, that will fit in 1 box. And it's not really that heavy.

hope: even if the seller has multiple accounts,and like you said " gave him self positive feedback" he will have to bid on his own products and pay fees on 600 auctions. 600 * 2+ bucks ebay fees = 1200 + bucks. And there is a policy at ebay that you have to provide a valid credit card number if you email address is not verifialbe. ( aol, msn, etc.)

I really think there is something that isn't been told here.

Of course amex will stand by there members. And will do a charge back if requested. But something here does not seem right.

I think that something should be worked out with the seller, maybe he used a drop shipment. Meaning that he is just a middle man.

12. direct

direct Well-Known Member

$1350 laptop? A package of this value should have been shipped with insurance. Therefore you have recourse not only with Amex but with the postal service if it was insured. If this ebay member has a feedback rating of 600, he should know the ropes and shipped it with a tracking number and fully insured. Otherwise, sounds like a scam and Amex will investigate

13. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

The package was delivered, so you can't claim with the postal service or whatever shipper was used.

He signed for it, thats the main point.

I would just dispute the charge with amex.

14. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Arobinson, I think you just bought yourself some very expensive speakers.It is encumbant on the receiving party to check the contents for missing or damaged contents,before signing off.A serial number means nothing.

15. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

amen

16. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

While the coverage may not be enough (good point, Breeze), they can help with documentation for prosecution, etc. :)

17. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

You're right about that, NanaC, eBay doesn't like fraud at their site. They will help you.

breeze

18. nursie

nursie Well-Known Member

19. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

AT THIS POINT IN TIME...WEIGHT IS THE KEY...

WHAT WEIGHT WAS SHIPPED?
    WHAT IS THE SHIPPING WEIGHT OF NEW PRODUCT FROM COMPUTER COMPANY?