Free credit card validation on web

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by PsychDoc, Nov 15, 2001.

1. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting link to play with:

http://developer.talentsoft.com/examples/validate/validate.wml

Basically, they're running a simple "mod-10" check. If you put in a fake credit card number, it will know it's fake. If you put in a valid number, it will confirm its validity.

Of course, you would want to check that with a card that expired already (or, even better, a canceled card) since that page isn't secure, plus who the heck is "Talentsoft" anyway? Regardless, the expired or canceled card will come up as having had a valid number because every credit card number has a mathematical algorithm that dictates several parameters of the number. (I don't know what that is, but here's an example: The first and third numbers added together, divided by the last number, might equal a number that equals the 12th number when its digits are added together -- that kind of thing.)

Doc

P.S. There is something even more startling on their site -- an anonymous email sender. Here's the link for that:
    http://developer.talentsoft.com/cgi-bin/webplus.cgi?Script=/examples/webmail/index.wml

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I've got a small program that does that. Mine actually goes out and dings up the issuer of the card and checks their data base to see if it's a valid card or not.

Actually dials the phone if the computer is not already on the internet.

3. SofaKing

SofaKing Well-Known Member

Gee, Bill, that's really state-of-the-art technology you have there! : )

Pretty much what they've done since the 60's!

SK

4. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Not sure why you or anyone would want to check the MOD10 of an expired or cancelled card...but:

WARNING, do not ues a real credit card #!!, many scams use those kinds of sites to collect valid CC#'s from unsuspecting people.

I am not saying that this site is unreputable, but why put a CC# into a slot on the web that will return valid or invalid when you know it is valid....just to get a response that says "Thank You"?

-Peace, Dave

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

When i was a hacker like 15 years ago i made a program that would take a "seed" card and generate new ones by sequencing the # and then recalculating the mod-10...

lol

made me think back to my early teen years..