Frustrated with Direct Merchan

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by greyfox, Feb 14, 2001.

1. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

I have had a secured DMB MC for over a year, and since Providian has been so satisfactory to work with, I tried to get a credit line increase without additional deposit from DMB. My account history was excellent. I spoke to a customer rep, to no avail, and the next month called the retention dept., again with no result.

Well, I had seen planetfeedback on this board, so on Feb. 8, registered a complaint with them, and amazingly, when I check my DMB account this morning, (2/14) my credit line had been increased by 50%!

This helps, because this was the only card that was carrying over a 30% balance, and is my oldest credit line.

So, if you are having problems with DMB, I suggest planetfeedback! And a thank you to the people on this board...your advice has been invaluable!

2. CCMax

CCMax Guest

RE: Frustrated with Direct Mer

Thanks a bunch for your post. I was thinking of doing the same thing, as I also have a perfect history and they refuse to budge. Except I was thinking I needed to lower my balance a little before I complained. Glad you got results!!!! Way to go!

CC

P.S.--Would you mind sharing your complaint? Is it posted on the site?

3. Tina Marie

Tina Marie Guest

I thought I was the only one that had this card. I called them to ask them a question in December. The first account representative was really helpful and she transfered me to another person with the intent of getting my interest rate lowered or getting me a grace period. Didn't happen of course. I also have had a perfect history with DMB. They messed up big time once by trying to cash a clearly marked $170 for $1700. I don't even have $1700 on the card. I was forced to speak to collections and I spoke to a really rude supervisor that said that my handwritten numbers on the check weren't intelligible. However clear as day the words to the left said $170! They did call my bank and paid the NSF fee. Would you believe this happened on my second statement. Wow that Planetfeedback is great. After I get all my reports back. I'm going full assualt with planet feedback!

4. greyfox

It is posted in the shared letters. BTW my balance was pretty much maxed out.

"I hope you are able to help me with a problem I've encountered with Direct Merchants Bank. The problem concerns the policies at your bank, and as a result of this I am frustrated and annoyed.

I have had Direct Merchants Master Card for over a year,and my record with them has been excellent, but Direct Merchants steadfastly refuses to raise my credit limit from the original $500 without an additional security deposit.

I have had an unsecured Providian Visa for 10 months, and my credit limit has gone from blank to blank, because of the same excellent payment record, with a decrease in the interest rate.

Providian also issued me an unsecured Master Card with an original credit limit of blank AND decreased my interest rate before I had the card 120 days.

In the future I will likely take my business to other banks, and I will probably urge others to avoid banking with you.

Here's the resolution I propose: I think Direct Merchants is missing a bet by not encouraging the retention of good customers by 1: Raising the credit limit, 2: After a year of excellent payment record, returning the security deposit, and 3: Allowing the upgrade to one of the better unsecured cards without compelling the customer to pay off the original card first. I would like to keep this account with Direct Merchants because it is over a year old, but I am disappointed with their policies.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter. I look forward to your prompt reply."

I think that the mention of the good service by Providian may have been instrumental in getting DMB to budge. Providian's increases have made DMB look pretty stingy ;-)

5. Greg

Greg Guest

Great Letter!

6. CCMax

CCMax Guest

RE: Great Letter!

Ditto. I did look it up on planetfeedback. Sent mine in this afternoon. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.

cc

7. greyfox

RE: Great Letter!

Thank you.