FTC: credit inquiry 2001 project

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Jun 22, 2001.

1. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

I am a little slow, but I did just register complaint with the FTC.

2. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I got a generic thing by email back saying..thanks..but blah, blah,blah..hope the number of these make an impact anyway.

3. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Oh no! How disappointing! Is everyone getting this response?

I hate it when brick walls are thrown up in my face!

4. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Yep...2 online complaints to the FTC (Equifax and TU)...and 2 blah blah blah responses with lame attachments that began with thanking me for my letter, and ended with a recitation of how "if I feel violations of the Fair Credit Act have occurred I can sue under section XYZ". Blah Blah Blah.

Good try people and good idea Saar, but it appears that the FTC online complaint project will end up somewhat ineffective.

Any other ideas for a "mass attack" on the matter and I will be with ya...keep thinking.

-Dave

5. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

I got the same lame @#&*% response, Dave.

I fired back with "I don't need a lawyer and that I am already familiar with credit laws and I want to know what the FTC is going to do about the negligent practices of Trans Union."

This is really pathetic!

Anyway I am not going to give up.

Cypri:)

6. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: FTC: credit inquiry 2001 projec

Not at all Nave, that's just the "immediate" form-letter everyone gets. Whether or not they do something about it is not determined at that level, and I trust that we're not too far from witnessing the change. Any complaint can be the one that makes a difference. It requires so little effort on our part that we must not give up.

And if they have started pursuing it already, you wouldn't even know about it. FTC is a bureaucratic organization, you could harldy expect a FTC press release so soon after we've started, right?

And as Mr Villasenor always says, "keep the faith". At least don't lose it so soon :)

Saar

7. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

I agree Saar!

Cypri:)

8. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Ok I will not give up so soon. The way the attachment read, I thought it was not just a form letter but a brush off. About keepin or having any faith, Anthony has that cool squiggle in his name...wish I had a squiggle in my name. It would make it easier to keep any real faith. :)

-Dave

9. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Here's the link again since we are now on page 3 and I'm bumping this up. Keep filing those complaints re Credit Bureaus not investigating/removing unauthorized inquiries...

https://rn.ftc.gov/dod/wsolcq$.startup

10. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

For some reason the link doesn't go in right...can anyone fix this so it is clickable to the page? The $ messes it up but if I copy the whole line and paste it in the goto address in the browser it works.

11. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

12. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

I think that if we additionally bombard the executives themselves with specifics regarding our files (using Planetfeedback and thru their individual websites) maybe they will get sick of us all and just remove the crap. Any thoughts on this tactic? After plans A & B, there always has to be a C,D,E,F,G,H,I, etc :)

13. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

I agree, we should stay on this until we have satisfaction. We need to bombard FairIsaac and the Credit Bureaus continuously, in addition to the FTC, but the way to fix this problem is with legislation. We need to find a legislator who will take it on and put up a good fight in the consumer interest. California seems to be leading the way and I'm jealous of their consumer advocates. Here in the NorthEast it's all lopsided for big business.

14. Saar

Saar Banned

To commemorate TU's latest threats, I'm re-bumping this thread and welcome a third round of responses.

The correct link for filing a FTC complaint is https://rn.ftc.gov/dod/wsolcq$.startup

Saar

15. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Good going, Saar!

16. deniserich

deniserich Banned

Consent Decree between FTC & Equifax dated August 1995: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1995/9508/equifax2.htm

in part...

"The final order requires Equifax to maintain reasonable procedures to assure maximum possible accuracy of the information contained in its consumer reports. Specifically, when a consumer provides Equifax with documentation confirming the consumer's version of a dispute, Equifax is required to accept that version unless it has reason to doubt the authenticity of the document." it further states:

. .."Each violation of such an order may result in a civil penalty of up to $10,000."

I would like to know how many civil penalties have been collected to date??? Any fines assessed? If not why?

Just the number of lawsuits, let alone complaints such as read here on the boards would lead a reasonable person to believe that the penalties must be numerous?!?!?

17. Saar

Saar Banned

$10,000 PER VIOLATION?! Oh Baby! This is class-action material!

Dear TU spy: Sue me. I dare you. Because once you do, you've got some MAJOR countersuit coming right up. Go ahead, make my day.

Saar

18. chelechele

chelechele Well-Known Member

I would LOVE $10,000.00 big ones....ooohhhh baby....drooling.......mmmmmmm

19. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

I wonder if the information could be obtained from the FTC by filng a Freedom of Information Act request. They are a government agency, and I think that makes them subject to the provisions of this.

20. deniserich

deniserich Banned

The $10,000 civil penalty would go to the FTC not the individual suing....BUT why isn't that order being enforced? Or is it, and it isn't public? I don't know but I am continuing to ask that question. I think we should all ask the FTC the same question...