FYI: Message Indicator Problem

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by pbm, Apr 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbm

pbm Administrator

DESCRIPTION:

After reading through a number of threads, the black arrow indicating a new message appears for a thread you have visited eventhough there are no new posts to the thread.

EXPLANATION:

The board software uses two variables to track what you read. The cookie is the main factor here. Apparently VB sets a limit to the number of messages it tracks (20?), and once it reaches that maximum it clears out the oldest entry of read messages to make room for the current thread you are reading. Thus, the expunged thread which had been marked as 'read' now appears as 'unread' again.

SOLUTION (INTERIM):

As a workaround we encourage you to make use of the 'MARK READ' button in the navigation bar after every 20 threads or so. This will mark all messages as read and remove the thread entries being tracked in your cookie.

SOLUTION (LONGTERM):

The problem is inherent to the board software. We will have to modify the code ourselves in order to impelement a fix. At the time of this writing we do not yet know whether a fix is possible. We are, however, working on resolving this issue.

Thank you.
    pbm

Creditnet

2. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Okay, but what I'm wondering is (I may have missed it, I did just fall asleep on my keyboard from the Vicodin) are the threads that were most recently posted to still the most current on the list? That way, you can just read back until you realize "Hey, I've read ALL of these messages in this thread before"
    Yes???
    thanks
    AnnMarie
    Junior Drugged Poster's Alliance

3. pbm

pbm Administrator

Yes, that is correct. Each time there is a response within a thread, that thread's date is updated and consequently taken to the top of the list. Threads are listed in order of most recent to older.

Thank you.
    pbm

Creditnet

4. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Hi,

Do you know if periodically using the web browser's "refresh" feature will help with this (hopefully short term) problem?

Don't know much about computers so pardon me if this sounds like a dumb question.

5. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Linda,

I use the "mark read" button and the refresh button on my browser. After about 20 threads, I hit "mark read" and then from then on I hit refresh. It seems to work, but it is an awful lot of work to accomplish this.

6. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

The prevoius method I used is no longer working for me. Do you think that I need to empty my browser's cache? I am still having trouble with the indicators and using mark read.

I have to hit mark read EACH time I read a thread.

7. pbm

pbm Administrator

We are aware of the problem with message indicators not being updated after you read a thread. Note that this problem is separate to the one discussed earlier where the message indicators would no longer update after 20 read threads. We are working on a solution.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    pbm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.