FYI: No more user titles

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by pbm, May 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbm

pbm Administrator

Given the surprisingly emotional feedback regarding user titles we have decided to abandon them. From this point forward all users will share the same title of "member", with the noted exception of moderators and administrators.

pbm

2. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

PBM:
    For whatever itâ??s worth I can relate with your decision, from a web development standpoint. Itâ??s sometimes tricky to predict how the public will receive a certain aspect from a website, even the seemingly mundane. My point being is that your actions (and/or those of the site powers-that-be), speaks volumes to the level of commitment you people carry.

Correspondingly, while removing identifying user levels is the subject of this thread. I hope that every user/member on the board realizes the sub-text significance, and appreciates your responsive conduct and hard work.

3. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

pbm,
    First off, let me say great job with the board. It is now truly my favorite and I look forward to viewing it every day. However, I must have missed the backlash that you were referring to. Most other boards have some sort of ranking system. For me, it was always a good way to quickly seek out those who cared enough to actually post frequently on the board. It can be just a post saying congratulations, at least they spent the time to add their thoughts! I personally don't post unless I have something to say, so for me to make "regular member" was a big deal for me (see my "on a lighter note" post) because it meant that I actually was being recognized for contributing. If folks want to lurk and soak up info without adding their thoughts, stories, advice, etc. then they have the right to do that (I do that on a lot of other boards). This is a "Discussion Board", if you are not adding to the discussion, then what value are you adding? (and more importantly, why are you complaining). I don't think the likes of Roni, Mom and others should be "stripped" of their seniority just because a few people don't like their title. I say bring back the titles because now, I have nothing to shoot for (I'll probably start posting more on that "other" board --- least they give you little stars for contributing to the dialogue)

This is really,

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

=====

I read the Bd.to keep up with what's going on;

I post to:
    a-get answers or help.
    b-give same
    c-stimulate others thoughts and or my own.

I'm not posting to earn a TITLE OR SHOOTING FOR A STAR :
    =====================================

HURRICANE You are correct in what you said -but I am right too.
    It just means different things to us!

5. hurricane5

LB I can totally agree/understand your point as well...it's not like we get paid extra for being senior member or whatever :) ... however, psychologically, we are all motivated by different things...I'm an ex-military guy, so things like titles really mean something to me. I'm sure if a vote was taken, we would probably get close to a 50/50 split regarding titles...

I did not intend for my previous post to cause any problems for anyone else. I respect the moderators of this board for doing what they think is right/in the best interest of this board. This small issue should in no way diminish what they have accomplished...as my signature line says, it all just:

6. MikeB

MikeB Banned

And I worked so hard to get to "regular member" status! Bah! j/k

Seriously though, I think the titles make some people post garbage or fluff in order to get more posts to "earn" a higher title.

7. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

I like what Slashdot does with moderator points. It is truly the best format in my opinion.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WHATEVER......................

GEORGE WAS A SENIOR MEMBER..........
    :(

9. Robert

Robert Active Member

I think that user titles were a nice part of the new board. Not having them just seems to give the board a plain vanilla feel.

BRING BACK THE USER TITLES, DANGIT!!!

10. hurricane5

A question for the admins of the board...if everyone is just a "member" then is there a need to even have the title next to everyone's name?? Sort of overkill, don't you think?

11. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

I never give my cents worth
    I'ts not worth a nickel

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

JUST CANGE IT TO NON-MEMBER...................

13. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

I vote with this sucks. I liked the titles because it let you know who was a regular member and who just posted a few times. People who were really active in the board got a higher title.

Just one more instance where the small few who didn't like something RUINED it for everyone else. It's getting so sad when a few whiners make a huge commotion and the authorities cave in.

Sad.... very sad.

14. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I am with you Judy, this minor issue gets immediate attention and changed, yet this board continues to let abusive and vulgar individuals participate, amazing!!

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

CAN'T SPELL RIGHT...JUST CHANGE MINE TO NON-MEMBER.............

16. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Who needs this title. Not me. I earned my title when I walked across the stage and was handed my diploma.

At most, the titles were a little fun.

PBM will continue to post who contributes the most and helps others on this board as usual at the end of the year. Everyone will see then who are "senior members".

roni

17. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

I'm just going to had my two cents. I haven't posted on the subject before, but I'm happy to see that there are no titles. It felt like a competition. I have been posting on this board for almost a year, but I make very few posts. One every couple days or so when I have some knowledge of the subject being discussed or wish to congratulate someone for their achievement. With the titles I felt like an outsider (or case may be it a freshmen). Everyone here knows who the knowledgable ones are and we appreciate you sharing your help and experiences with us, but I don't agree with titling individuals. Thanks for listening (or reading).

Dani

18. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Roni, let me get this straightâ?¦ Are you suggesting that quantity supercedes quality, and thereby equates to some level of expertise and/or superiority? If so, with all respect, some could view such as a laughably elitist notion.

Clearly there are those whom donâ??t have to prove a level of expertise, by title; the proof is just naturally in the puddin. [;-)

19. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I knew someone would comment to that statement. That is why I opted to leave it in.

You people will find a way to debate about just about anything.

HHHHHHHHILARIOUS.!!!!!

20. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Also,

Not that I really have to explain my statement, PBM stated that when deciding on "titles" they went back into the threads and recognized members who they thought had been around over 6 months.

They also said that if you had missed you, let them know and they would add name or give you a little title too, if that makes you happy.

I was not referring to quanity away. AND MY POST HAVE QUALITY SO I DONT KNOW WHAT BUG CRAWLED UP YOUR NOSE.

roni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.