Gas Cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by chriscraft, Mar 25, 2001.

1. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

Hello folks. I am new to the board and I was wondering if anyone here knows the credit approval criteria for any of the major gasoline credit cards. I would like to try to get either a Chevron, Shell, BP/Amoco, or Union 76 card, but since I have negatives on my reports (see my previous post from a few minutes ago entitled "inquiries"), I am afraid to make an application, only to have it declined and my score reduced due to the inquiry. Is there a site which lists what the criteria is? Or should I call the individual companies to find out? Has anyone out there with "bad credit" obtained such a card, and if so, what was your situation when you were approved?

Help!

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I had a couple of charge-off accounts a few years ago when I applied for Exxon gas card. I got approved for $200.

3. chriscraft

Ron, do you know what report Exxon pulled when you made your application? And do you know if they go off of a fixed score or on items listed in the report?

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I think that Exxon pull credit report from Experian and you should answer in seconds. I think they 're pretty easy to approve it. They do report your account activity to credit bureaus monthly.

5. Richguy

Richguy Guest

Associates pulled Experian, which is my worst report, before sending me preapproved offers for Texaco and Shell cards. I would definitely say Texaco is easiestto get, followed by Shell. Exxon and Chevron are a liitle harder, in my experience.

6. Michael

Michael Guest

Texaco, BP, Shell, and Citgo are all Associated Cards the Criteria is the same!!!

Exxon and Mobil both are GE Capital/Monogramme Bank. They are very easy to get!

7. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Not easy enough for me, unfortunately. :)

8. chriscraft

Richguy - when you say that Experian is your worst report and you got an approval for a gas card, what were the negative aspects of your report at the time you got the approval? Charge-offs, collections, bankruptcy, what? I want to try to get a sense of whether I will be wasting my time, and an inquiry, applying. Thanks for responding.