Gas Prices Falling?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by supershawn, Oct 23, 2001.

1. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Anyone else see their prices fall double digits the last two weeks?

I just filled up this AM: (Quick Trip, North Atlanta, GA)

.97 cents Regular
    1.07 Plus
    1.17 Premium

That's at my local 'sweet spot', but I did not see a regular over $1.09 my whole ride to the office.

Is everyone else seeing this? Speculations on the reasoning? You would think they would be trying to raise the prices over the conflict in the Middle East.

Shawn

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

WHAT? You have got to be kidding me. I have not seen gas under $1.00 since 1990. Only time you see it is at certain gas stations doing a promotion to protest gas prices. And that's for only like a couple of hours.

I filled up yesterday (91 octane since there is no more 92 in CA) for $1.71/gal. Kinds sucks when you have a 20 gal tank! Damn those V-8 Caddys!

3. marci

marci Well-Known Member

mine dropped 20 cents on the gallon over trhe past two weeks, but not to $1.09!

I'm at $1.31 for plus and i'm from the deep south!

4. SD

SD Well-Known Member

Dang!! Under a buck? Not in San Francisco!! The cheapest I have found in the city is Arco, Valero, Citgo and some generic spots @ 1.65 per gallon (lowest grade~ is that 89?).

I can't afford 76, Chevron and Shell... don't laugh.
    Gas is gas, right? =)

5. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Hey shawn, just happen to have two receipts from QuikTrip in my purse: Oct 12, Sugarloaf Pkwy/316, $1.159. Oct 21, Satellite/Pleasant Hill $1.079. Can't find the one from between those dates, but I have noticed a drop in prices.

6. mirabelle

mirabelle Well-Known Member

I haven't filled up in a few days, but late last week it was $1.04 at Costco in Austin, TX and the same at an Exxon across the street. I filled the tank to the brim since that's the cheapest I've seen.

Will check it out on Thursday when I am up that way!!

7. supershawn

Yea, they have really fallen as of late! Especially in the last two weeks.

.98 cents this morning at the QT @ 985 and 20 (near Mall of GA) and at the two across the street....but .97 at my favorite, the one off Sugarloaf Pkwy....they always have the cheapest in the area. When I saw PREMIUM at 1.17 I almost cried.....my little Jeep (at about 9mpg) wouldn't know what to think drinking the good stuff..LOL!

When I was traveling to a client in SC, the Flying J by the border always had the lowest prices, I am really curious to see what they are at right now.

But, man, I felt great filling it up at under a dollar a gallon....I hope it stays that way for a while.

I was talking to my family up in DE last night. They said they have really fallen there too. They are at about 1.10 a gallon for Regular. They usually average 15-20 cents above me so they are doing really good.

I think little bonuses like this will really keep a positive moral for everyone..especially going into the Holiday season. Hopefully turn everything around for the economy!

When is Discovery Mills openeing up? It looks huge!

Shawn

8. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Here in central VA I filled up on plus at Exxon for $1.08/gallon. Usually takes $22.00 to my SUV, only took $15.00 and I was on empty. In the Post they're predicting home gas prices to drop 40% from last year's high. It's a good thing I'm not an economist because I thought the opposite would occur.

Dani

9. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Hey, every little bit helps! I remember when prices shot up, I had a mental block at paying $20 to fill up my car, but eventually had to. It's funny, I usually don't notice how much gas costs, since there's only ONE choice of gas station unless I want to drive a ways, or I'm already out.

http://www.millscorp.com/discover/index2.html Grand Opening is November 2. Shackleford is open all the way through to Sugarloaf now, so you can (semi)circle the mall, but not North Brown road on my side because it goes directly into the parking lot. Tried it Friday, nice guy at the guard shack (no kidding) told me I had to turn around. I'm so excited, can't wait to check out the Westpoint/Stevens store! I'm still hoping to find some Discover Mills DiscoverCard special cardholder super discount coupons in the mail :)

(inserting credit-related discussion here) Speaking of Discover, they gave me a 6-month 9.9 deal on new purchases last week!

10. EdG

EdG Well-Known Member

$ 1.21 a Gallon in Boston.

11. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

$1.29 Gallon here near Worcester Ma (MOBILE)

12. supershawn

Worcester, MA....one of my favorite concerts ever...Radiohead at the Worcester Centrum. Great Show!!!

I did three years up that way....spent six months of it commuting from Barrington, RI, to Burlington, MA, DAILY. 75 miles each way through the lovely 95 traffic.

I did get to meet Marylin Manson that way, though...stopped in the book store (Burlington Mall) to pick up a tech book and there he was, signing autographs.

That will something to tell my grandkids about. "One day I shook hands with the anti-christ". I'm sure they will be impressed...LOL!

Shawn

13. cjd

cjd Active Member

Re: Stupid autographs

Your Marilyn Manson story reminded me of Kato Kailin. Shortly after the OJ trial he was at a mall near me signing autographs, but not at the book store. It was the oddest thing, because I don't think he had really done anything.

Long story short, I had him sign a football and my roommate at the time had him sign a frisbee.

CJD

14. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

Re: Stupid autographs

$1.09 here outside of Cleveland

15. realbad

realbad Member

more gas price stories

It's been $1.07 for several days here in Kansas for regular unleaded, but just today, the price has gone up 12 cents/gallon for the same stuff. Someone on another group I watch said its amazing what a carrier battle group in the mid east will do for the price of gas...

16. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Re: more gas price stories

$1.05 at Sam's Club Dallas.

But FYI, about 3 weeks ago all the major news economist reported that this would happen within about 2 weeks.

Two of the reasons given were:

a) OPEC's unanimous agreement to step up the pace finally is showing affect

b) Less production used for airline usage since 9.11 therefore, more product diverted to the general public.

And don't forget, the same thing happened during the Persian Gulf war (I recall paying $0.76 a gallon for regular back then!)

17. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

Regular Unleaded $1.37 in Temecula, CA; about an hour north of San Diego. About 15 cents less in LA and Orange County. Three months ago I was paying $1.97. Big improvement. Not like three years ago when it dropped to 94 cents, but a BIG improvement.

18. KHM

KHM Well-Known Member

I run a gas station that a friend of mine owns. Its really sad but prices are WAY down and now he's making about 30 cents a gallon, when it was over $2. he was making about 12-15 cents a gallon.
    Our price right now is $1.33 and he paid $1.01 for it. So he is making 32 cents a gallon and thats just for regular(87) He charges $1.45 for mid grade (89) and that came in at I think $1.04 (41 cents) Super (93) is where these gas stations make their money. Our price is $1.55 and it usually comes in at the same price as mid grade (1.04) he's making 51 cents for super. He's a privately owned gas station and his prices are ALWAYS about 2-3 cents HIGHER than the surrounding stations, but people pay it. Just thought I'd share a little gas price info with you all.
    KHM

19. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I hear that Cadillic has just come out with a new conversion kit that scoops up VolksWagons and uses them for fuel.

LOL

20. supershawn

Holy Cow! I fell bad for you guys paying over 1.50 for Regular gas, thats awful. Hope it comes down soon.

I never even thought about ther ebeing a surplus due to less use by aviation....that really makes a lot of sense (or cents, hee hee)....if you consider less commercial flights, small planes being grounded for several weeks, less fuel used by consumers who traveling less, well, that makes for a lot of extra fuel.

I was really surprised the 'fuel tax removal' debate didn't come up again during the Presidents push for more consumer spending...looks like we would not need it anyway.

Either way, I am glad to see the lower prices. I'll take an 18.00 fill up over a 24.00 fill up any day!

Shawn