Gateway problems (kinda long...)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by fingrrrl, Aug 8, 2003.

1. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

I have a Gateway credit card issued by Citibank and ooh, are they getting on my last nerve. I just called customer service and got some very strange answers to my questions. I've had this account since 10/01, with a $2000 limit (had bought a new computer) and have been paying steadily on it ever since. My account was suddenly closed in 02/03 and now I still have $600 to go (but don't have the means to pay it in full just yet). I called today to ask why my account was closed (didn't notice it until now and never was really using it anyway), and the reason I was given was because in February, I asked (online)for my APR to be lowered, but I cancelled the request before it could be answered by Gateway, so they closed my account. Can you believe it? This is so insane. And when I asked for further verification as to why, that was all she could tell me. Also, last month my minimum amount due was $41, but I paid $130, but this month my minimum due is $84. Can you believe it? I also asked about this and she told me that they take my high balance, not my current balance, my highest balance ever, multiplied by some strange number, and then that is my minimum due. Is this legal? I thought one's minimum amount due was always 2-4% of the CURRENT balance, not the highest ever owed. Plus, she added that they are dropping the pay-ahead feature they used to have where if I paid more one month, like $130 on a $41 minimum due, they won't carry the extra money, or in this case, $89 ahead to pay next month's minimum due lower and that my minimum due from now on will always be $84. I guess in some odd way, this will pay me pay it off faster, but that's not the point. Is all this sh*t legal? Why are they doing this? Has this crap happened to anyone else? Should I complain via PFB or to their corporate offices? Would it help at all? Thanks for any imput or advice.

2. fingrrrl

*bump*

3. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Why are you upset? Do you REALLY want to spend your life dealing with this type of instututional schitzophrenia? Better to just get them paid off and out of your life as fast as possible.

4. fingrrrl

Yeah I know I can pay it off as fast as possible, but that's not the point. I shouldn't let people dick me around. Sorry for not being a pushover.

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I agree with you both - you being the customer - just pay and get it over.
    Some of the reason may be GATEWAY INC! They are not exactly flush with cash now, and it could well be things like pay ahead are no longer avail.
    GATEWAY is desperately trying to stay alive - and they need to collect as much as possible - any way - any how.

Good luck - but sounds like you have it under control :)

dogman

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

MBNA dropped their "PAY AHEAD" program also...

Min due $100...pay $300...next month was $0...and the next month was $0...

Now it is just min due $100...pay $300...next month min due $100!!!

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi GEORGE!
    And I have seen posts around that MBNA seems to be getting rate jack happy with their rates.

arfff - dogman

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I got a 3rd offer for POPULAR SCIENCE M/C...first 2 were 7.90% after 0.00% BT
    NOW IT IS 9.90% after the 0.00% BT

Wife's 3rd offer was the same for JOANN sewing store...7.90%--->9.90% after 0.00% BT

9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Frankly - I did not know they had a Popular Science MC!
    But - it would be cool - except I can't go for any MBNA product...LOL!

10. fingrrrl

Yes the rep said that their pay ahead was cancelled, effective 8/1/03, but what about this way of determining the minimum amount due, by using the highest balance ever instead of the current...how can they do this and why do you think? Thanks.

11. fingrrrl

I ask because I was looking at my past statements and saw months where I was paying just the minimum due, nothing more and yet my next month's minimum due was significantly lower, even though I hadn't 'paid ahead.'

12. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Gateway problems (kinda long...)

They can't do it unless it is in the orig. agreement or in a change of terms notice.

13. OleMissReb

OleMissReb Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Gateway problems (kinda long...)

This same thing happened to us! I monitor my reports almost every day and noticed that wife and I's MBNA account (Gateway Loan) had showed up as closed by consumer instead of Open. We have not purchased anything in about 2 years and had been paying minimum due ($90) and usually about $10-$20 more. Down to around $400 and all the sudden it is showing up as closed. They said they did this as a favor to us instead of closed by grantor.

They made no explenation for why it said closed now instead of open. They refused to re-mark it as open. I am in the process of suing them as it now is hurting me I assume that it now says closed instead of open. Our scores are better now than when account was opened and they refused to re-mark it as open?! They are on crack