GEICO WON 2Nite ......

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Jul 23, 2001.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Get this. My GEICO policy for the next 6 months showed up today - the premium due for 6 months was $650 - perfect driving - high limits - low miles.

I talked with a REP and told him that AMEX Auto was within $4 of their premium - was this really the BEST RATE I could have - being 48 yrs old and no traffic issues. I've been with GEICO 7 yrs - no claims ever.

They pleasantly came back to me with this - Mr. Dogman, your mileage is very low annually in San Francisco. You have an excellent driving record.
    I am immediately reducing your rate - the NEW
    PREMIUM is now $480!!!!!! for 6 months!!!!!

What a GREAT MONDAY CALL! I saved nearly $400 annually with one phone call with GEICO - its a pleasure to be PLAT-rated with auto insurance, if not credit!

GEICO kept my business - that was a 30% auto policy expense SAVED and ELIMINATED in one phone call. Of course I charged the $480 to AMEX :)

IT PAYS to call your auto insurer and ask for a discount - just like we have all learned on this Board regarding credit issues!

insured and happy - dogman

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Congrats Dogman, what a way you have with wheeling and dealing:)

3. Melissa

Melissa Well-Known Member

Hee Hee,
    Way to go. I wonder if this would work with American Family vs. State Farm too. I need to try this as soon as I am up for insurance renewel especially now since we added the new car to the policy.

4. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi Dear - got everything painted, sanded, refinished, mowed, and arranged yet????

GLAD to c ya MOM :) Dog

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hello darling:)

Well we are all set, still trying to decorate the rooms though. My husband did the kitchen, you would be impressed:

Nice to see you as always:)

6. doodyhead

doodyhead Well-Known Member

how were they able to do this? did they lower your annual mileage? be sure that's what they did & not dropped any coverages.

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

yes - lowered my annual mileage - which was correct!
    Now - I have 100/300K on everything and collision and liability - $500 deductible. Good driver everything discounts. Long term member discount...

c ya dogman

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Do it Melissa! At least get a quote.
    A quote will not generate a hard credit look - unless you are serious and then get the policy.

9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

The Kitchen

I bet your kitchen is really comfortable Mom - kind of the family place to crowd around while youre cooking :)

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: The Kitchen

Doody,

I am an agent also. Sounds like they have changed his coverage somehow. This whole deal sounds very suspect. Lower mileage would not result in a $200 reduction in premium.

Dogman should compare his old policy coverages with the new coverages as soon as the dec page arrives in the mail.

breeze

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Premiums are not negotiable...

...unless the rates are tiered, and I do not believe that Geico has tiered rates. Progressive is the only one I know of who has tiered rates.

If you negotiate lower rates with your auto or homeowner's insurance company, check your policies for changes in coverage.

I am absolutely dead serious. This is fishy.

breeze

12. doodyhead

Re: Premiums are not negotiable...

I agree, breeze. The co. I work for (NOT progressive... over my dead body LOL) DOES have tiered rates in SOME states, so an annual mileage adjustment COULD make a pretty large difference, if you went from 15k to 2k a year. Some of these companies will put whatever they want for your annual mileage, rerate to pleasure or farm use, beg the underwriter to waive a surcharge, whatever to get the premium down. But it shows in their loss ratios!!
    Could be one of the reasons industry reports show Geico has not been as profitable.

13. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I have only been an agent for 17 years, okay, but if your agent puts on your policy that you use your car for pleasure only, and says that you drive 2,000 mi per year, and that is not correct, the agent is not doing you a favor. The agent, in effect, is saying that this is what you told him when you spoke with him/her.

I know folks don't understand the legal "ins and outs" of insurance, but your statements to the agent are called "representations" or "warranties" that means they are verrrrrrrry important to the contract. If the info used to rate your policy (that includes your representations and warranties) is not true, and the company finds out, they can cancel you immediately. Now you do get a warning, but you would be forced to find other coverage, and your name would be on a list of people who have not told the truth when applying for insurance and you would be classified as a "substandard" insurance risk.

If the agent did this without your knowledge, you do have recourse, but it is a long drawn-out process that you don't want to go through, and all during that time you will be paying very high premiums.

I still say check your policies, and do not go along with something like this if you find it to be the case.

Never let an agent tell a lie for you - it is nothing but trouble, and if the agent will lie for you, they will lie to you.

Also, Geico implies in their advertising that their agents do not receive commissions, so that lowers your rates and makes the agent more honest. That is BS - they get bonuses that amount to commissions.

breeze

14. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Breeze - that's great insight - and I do appreciate it -but the mileage I drive REALLY is only 300 miles a month. That's the real reason getting a new car isn't critical but it would be completely paid for within 30 days.

GEICO was excellent here as well - I asked her, when she quoted the ACURA RSX and the Civic EX Coupe, I told her that there would be no doubt I would drive the brand new car much more.

She said they would re-evaluate- BUT said she actually would depend on ME as a 7 yr policyholder to notify them if things changed.

Also, Breeze, I don't think they are agents because I call GEICO directly. Not sure though, but she explained it legit.

c ya Dogman

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

They are agents. Take my word for it. ;)

breeze

16. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Breeze - but surely they don't make comissions - they lowered me $400 a year!

I gather they are licensed agents but on salary - who knows- But I am still thrilled!

Arfingly onward - dogman

17. doodyhead

Breeze is right, they ARE agents, in fact probably MUCH MORE knowledgeable than your local agents because no doubt they are licensed & transact insurance in SEVERAL states! They also talk insurance ALL DAY LONG instead of being out on the golf course. LOL.

18. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I'll be watching for sure due to your advice all.
    BUT - my gut feeling is I was paying for 12K per yr in SF B4.
    I'll check their web and see if it is up yet.
    cya dogman

19. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I have many friends who work for Geico, they get a salary around $22,000 (starting) and up, but their big money comes in the form of bonuses for production and retention.

Don't kid yourself, dog. You are believing what you wanted to hear anyway, LOL. Don't say I didn't tell you.

I wouldn't bother repeating myself if I didn't consider you a friend. You just be sure you read it when it comes.

breeze

20. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

They must have gotten the retention bonus!
    thx breeze. Dog