Gender Gap?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Dani, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

I asked this in another forum and was curious how much of a role does gender play in the reduction of interest rates, higher credit limits, and credit offers? For years I believed gender played a huge part in establishing credit. Men are looked on more favorably then women are. I remember going computer shopping with my husband and I was interested in opening a line of credit with the store. I filled out an application and was approved on the spot for $500. Well that wasn't going to buy us a computer so my husband applied and he received $2500 even though my credit has been established a lot longer and I had less debt (our gross incomes are only $2000 apart so income was not a factor). Coincidence? I don't think so. Just curious on everyone's view on this.

Dani

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I dont think so.

Well, you have been around this board long enough to know that credit scores are a big factor in determining who gets credit. The factors that go into the scoring are sometimes ridiculous and unfair, but they do not include race or gender. They do however include geographical locations. The richer areas get more credit perks.

If you look at your credit reports VERY closely you might find minor factors which would favor your hubby. Balances, could be a factor. You were both approved so I am sure you both have good credit. But maybe you had more accounts than your husband and the computer decided to not extend you as much more credit. Just an idea.

roni

3. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: I dont think so.

I think age matters too and not just because older people have longer credit histories. I read somewhere that when you turn 50, your credit score goes up dramatically.

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Over 62 they start discriminat

Also.

5. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

RE: I dont think so.

hehehehe That's one of the most positive advantages of getting older I've heard in a long time. I'm certainly not looking forward to the big 50 and it's only five years off. However, if my credit score goes up when I hit that mark, it would be a big plus. I'll have plenty of reason to celebrate. Of course, I hope my score improves significantly before I get there but I'll welcome whatever advantages the half-century mark brings.

Donna