General credit score questions for first time home buyer

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by SamanthaLily89, Nov 12, 2017.

1. SamanthaLily89

SamanthaLily89 New Member

Hello,

I am currently in the home buying process, have been pre-approved with a submitted and accepted offer. I want to know how this type of loan could potentially impact my credit since it will increase my debt by $250,000 (amount of loan).

My current credit score is at 757. The only debt I have is $20,000 in student loans, with the occasional roll over of debt on my credit cards if I make a larger than usual purchase, which is not often and not my current situation.

The two negative impacts that are keeping my score at a standstill right now are my credit age, which is at 4 years and 11 months (should see a slight improvement once my average reaches 5 years) and the # of total open accounts. I have 9 accounts (6 open and 3 closed) and according to credit karma 11 accounts would get me to increase my score.

I know that people purchase homes that cost more than what their annually salary is all of the time. I just want to understand how a mortgage loan for a first time home buyer will impact my credit score. Especially if I need to take out a loan in the future for a new car, or if I decide to do home renovations and charge a large purchase on my credit card, etc.

Just looking for general answers to be more educated. Any feedback is appreciated!

Thank you!