George W. Bush

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Erica, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

Now I wonder where I could have gotten the notion that you get all of your taxes refunded...

I offered a constructive suggestion before, in a spirit of helpfulness, and I'll offer it again; you really need to re-examine your withholdings and quit lending the government YOUR money interest free. You should also know that your employer is required by law to notify the IRS if you claim nine or more exemptions. Not the end of the world, but it does make an audit more likely. Believe me, you don't want one of those. That's why I claim exactly eight exemptions. It drastically reduces my withholdings, leaving MY money in MY pocket, without alarming the Feds.

I re-read my post, and it had an overly condescending tone, and so I hereby humbly and sincerely apologize for that. It was unwarranted and uncalled for. I do, however, stand by each and every point that I made.

2. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Apology accepted. Just for reference, I claim 0 exemptions. I found that when I claim more than 1, I don't get a refund because it comes to me throughout the year instead of at the end of it. I have also found that when I claim more than 0, I have a hard time coming up with the required "underpayment" at the end of the year. I will state again, I only made $12,000 last year as a full time college student. THerefore my taxable income was only like $4000. So, I do pay taxes, just get my overpayment back.

I also apologize for my un-clearness (if that is a word) of my posts. Are we square then? Truce? Friends?

3. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Erica:

I see you appreciated that????
    (LOL)

4. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

Absolutely! One of the truly cool things about this country is that you can think that GW is "All Hat and No Cattle" or "As bright as a burned out light bulb" and I can refer to Al Gore as "The Tennessee 2x4" or the "Divinity School Drop Out" and, though we disagree, we don't have to hate each other. Here on these boards, it's still US against THEM.

I posted something earlier today that I ran across. For all of our complaining, we don't have it so bad. See http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&pgnum=1&postid=86952#post86952

5. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Bravo!!!

6. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

While suturing a laceration on the hand of a 90-year-old man,
    the doctor asked his patient how he thought George W. Bush
    was doing as President.

The old man said, "Ya know, Bush is a post turtle." Not
    knowing what the old man meant, the doctor asked him what a
    "post turtle" was.

He said, "Did you ever drive down a country road and come
    across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top? You know
    he didn't get there by himself, he doesn't belong there, he
    can't get anything done while he's up there, and you just
    want to help the poor thing down. That's a post turtle."

7. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

Let's try this again: Did you have taxes WITHHELD, and then it was all returned, or did your return indicate an actual taxed dollar figure, where you only received PART of the money withheld back?

There is a big difference between PAYING TAXES and having money WITHHELD for taxes that gets returned to you.

8. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

WHat difference does it make? That subject has been over for a while now.

:)

9. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

Answer: It makes a big difference when you don't tell the truth and/or the correct story, that's what difference it makes.

As for the subject being over, your original post was on 09.04.2001. I replied before the weekend and went on a boat trip over the past four days. Unwilling to reply from the water, I followed up upon my return.

YOU might think it's over, but that doesn't make it over ... :)