GetSmart Visa Classic

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by matty61184, Jul 5, 2001.

1. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

Hey all,
    I was approved for the GetSmart Visa Classic w/ a $1,000 credit limit, and I didn't have to pay the annual fee or the application fee!!! Woo-hoo! Anyhow, called them today, and the guy I spoke with seemed very ignorant. When I asked him if I had a grace period, he told me there was no grace period on the classic account. I had previously visited the website and it showed a 25 day grace period. I told him this, and he said it was an error. He was very inconsiderate and not willing to answer any of my questions. Can any of you confirm for me that this card has a grace period, because if it doesn't, its HISTORY!

2. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

Is anyone able to help me on this one?

3. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

I called them on this as well and was told that the classic does NOT have a grace period and that the website was wrong. The rep told me she would be contacting the web technicians about the site to change it, but that was two weeks ago!!...and yet it remains the same and is verified as correct everyday. I don't know what to say. You might want to keep the card open, because much is negotiable at Providian if you just call retention. I plan on doing that soon and see if I can get a grace period after all.

4. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

I was told after July 9 retention will have the ability to add graces/ gold upgrades etc to Providian cards. Not sure if this will work with GetSmart.

My advice would be to print out the websheet, and write a letter to them with this copy. It's got to be illegal to say "grace" then give "no grace".

RegZ violation? Truth in lending? I don't know what applies... course, you can always cancel. but why not just try to get it?

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Marie,

Did Providian retention rep tell you about the July 9 date? I was told they could not process credit line increases only credit dept could. Of course, maybe retention can process everything else. Just to make sure, would you mind giving the phone number and the date when you were told?

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

you're right about retention's arm being tied about credit line increases. No more.

SO what does that leave them to placate ticked off customers? not much.

I've made a friend in retention. I get the truth. it's nice. I was told Monday they would have upgrade in terms packages.

Gold, graces, better interest rates. Nothing was said about line increases.

Course, Providian is famous for not meeting deadlines for upgrade packages. The platinum upgrades from retention was supposed to be Dec last year, then Feb, then May... you get the picture. I take everything with a grain of salt.

Regardless, I was told when the upgrades are available I'll get them on all my cards that are able to be upgraded. I know she has my info.. poor rep recognizes my voice we've talked to much :_)

So, when I get upgraded... I'll post it. Til then, we're stuck w/the 120+ upgrades in lines.. just make sure to get the fee rebated

(Oh, a free way to get 100 extra is to let them process the fee then get it rebated). Rebating it lets you keep the line increase for the fee... getting the increase w/out the fee means you don't get the extra 100 increase to cover the fee). Just a tip.

7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

OH, talked with retention Mon last week. the number I've posted everywhere.

8. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Marie,

Thanks for a great post and tips :) BTW, would you mind telling how you got friends with a certain rep? I've called many times to retention and NEVER got the same person! How 'bout sharing one more tip with us all on how you secure a good retention rep??