Getting a loan

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Gypsy1, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Gypsy1

Gypsy1 Guest

Have asked a couple of questions on this board about cleaning up my credit, 637 FICO, not that great:( My fiance's is 651. We just applied for a car loan on PeopleFirst (because we REALLY need to get a car) and even they turned us down. Does anyone have a suggestion on where we can go to get a loan? I realize the interest rates will probably be high, but we need to get a car and it seems really unfair that we are continually being turned down, since there really isn't that much on our credit report to begin with, no defaulted loans, a solid house payment history (15+ years). The bad thing is my fiance has child support arrears on there, he was out of work with an injury and the county refused to reduce the payments (he's basically paying back AFDC, so it's going to the state) Maybe that's the problem. It will most likely be paid off this year with his tax return. Mine has 2 credit cards with high balances, one 6-year old chargeoff that says a settlement was accepted, and one questionable $25 debt that I'm still investigating.

Anyways, if anyone knows where we can get a used car loan, we'd appreciate it.

2. once38

once38 Well-Known Member

Go to the largest Ford dealer in your area and ask to speak to the finance manager. They should be able to help. Down payment can be a big help too.

3. dave

dave Well-Known Member

My score was much lower than yours is now...you may want to investigate AmeriCredit (no I don't work for them) ..if they approved me (albeit sickening interest), they'll approve you.

4. HVACQUEEN

HVACQUEEN Guest

I'D FOLLOW THE ADVICE ABOVE , AND CALL FORD; MY CREDIT SUCKED, AND I WENT DOWN THERE W/$2K CASH FOR THE DOWN, AND DROVE OFF IN A NEW CAR! (ORIGINALLY THEY HAD FINANCED ME AT A RIDICULOUS 15%, BUT I DIDN'T CARE, I NEEDED A DEPENDABLE CAR; I GOT A CALL THE NEXT DAY TO COME DOWN AND SIGN SOME "NEW PAPERS" I FREAKED AT FIRST, BUT WHEN I WENT DOWN THERE, THEY HAD DROPPED THE INTEREST DOWN TO 7%, AND 1 YR OFF OF THE TERM! (WHAT HAPPENED WAS WITH THAT HIGH INTEREST RATE, THE TOTAL FINANCE WAS TOO MUCH FOR MY INCOME BRACKET, SO IT WAS TAKE THE CAR BACK, OR ADJUST THE PAPERWORK. I THINK THAT WE ALL KNOW THEY WANT OUR MONEY, SO THE PAPERWORK WAS ADJUSTED!)