getting info on a collection

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Kristy, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Kristy

Kristy Guest

After recently being denied credit my husband and I requested a copy of our credit report. On his report was a collection account just report last month. We had no idea what it was. We have contacted the collection agency 3 times and they said they could not give us any information except that it was a delinquent visa account. In the 10 years we have been together, we have never received a bill from this bank. My husband is not sure if this bill is from his ex wife or if it is something he had over 15 years ago. Is there a statute of limitations in Michigan that would protect us? What is the collection agencies responsiblity in giving us more information on this account? We requested they send us the original contract and a list of charges, which they state they can not do. We would appreciate any ideas you may have.

2. Kristi- Ca

Kristi- Ca Guest

RE: getting info on a collecti

STATE: MICHIGAN
    STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS (IN YEARS)
    Open Acct.: 6
    Written Contract: 6
    Sales (UCC) Contract: 4
    Judgment: 10 renewable

By law, if they cannot prove the debt is valid then they cannot make you pay it. You have mini miranda rights. Just send a letter certified or faxed with a fax trasmittal receipt that you contest the validity of the debt and want written proof. I doubt the debt is even collectable. It sounds like it is WAY pass the Statute to collect.
    Good Luck
    Kristi
    CarreonandAssociates.com

Kristy wrote:
    -------------------------------
    After recently being denied credit my husband and I requested a copy of our credit report. On his report was a collection account just report last month. We had no idea what it was. We have contacted the collection agency 3 times and they said they could not give us any information except that it was a delinquent visa account. In the 10 years we have been together, we have never received a bill from this bank. My husband is not sure if this bill is from his ex wife or if it is something he had over 15 years ago. Is there a statute of limitations in Michigan that would protect us? What is the collection agencies responsiblity in giving us more information on this account? We requested they send us the original contract and a list of charges, which they state they can not do. We would appreciate any ideas you may have.