Going to sue Equifax and Gulf State

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by marvin, Sep 26, 2001.

1. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

I am going to sue Equifax, and would like some information.

First, who's name do I have to name in the lawsuit? Does it have to be someone in my state, one particular officer, or any officer at the main headquarters?

Second, I fought with Gulf State and Equifax to get an incorrect entry removed 18 months ago, and it was reinserted. I have not been notified of its reinsertion. My question is do I have to have an old report, or can I bring in witnesses that helped me get the item removed?

I also would like to get an idea of how long it may take to get this resolved. We are looking to get a house within a month, and this item will probably cost me an additional 5% deposit, and 2% interest on the mortgage.

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Marvin:

You didn't say, but I assume that you want to do this through small claims court. Is that right? If so...

One. Depends upon the state you reside. Many/Most states do not require you name a corportate offical unless they had a direct partipation in the event leading to the lawsuit. Remember, for legal purposes, a corportation IS an individual. As for where to give service, I again assume that you want to sue in your state, not in Georgia where Equifax is located. The easiest way to accomplish this is to contact your Secretary of State and ask for the legal registered AGENT for Equifax in your state. This is a company who Equifax, as a foreign corporation (outside your state, not the u.s.) has designated as a local rep to accept tax/financial/legal documents. You would sue Equifax c/o AGENT at AGENT ADDRESS, YOUR STATE.

Two. Small claims court works like Judy Judy or the People's Court on television. You can bring witnesses, but there are additional fees. You WILL want to bring all paperwork, old copies of the report and current ones.

Addition... Be aware that most small claims court do not issue orders, they just provide monetary relief damages. You need to contact your court clerk for proceedures, but some states require that you send a demand letter to the defendant first.

The sad part about this.... expect six weeks to three months before you're ready to go to court. Even if you win, then you will have to collect the money award and the information could still remain on your credit report.

Good luck!

3. SofaKing

SofaKing Well-Known Member

marvin-

The quickest way to get the local affiliate Statutory Agent name is to simply call them up and ask. Tell them you are filing suit and you need the name.

Here's something on the subject I posted a while back:

Hey folks! Here is corporate information which will help with legal issues. The "Statutory Agent" or "Registered Agent" is the entity to contact regarding lawsuits. Of course, there are many affiliate offices spread throughout the US.

Some other members have posted some local agent's info. These below are the main offices.

Equifax (go to this page and enter "equifax" to get records):

http://www.sos.state.ga.us/corporations/corpsearch.htm

KENT E. MAST
    1550 PEACHTREE ST NW
    ATLANTA, GEORGIA 30309

Experian:

http://kepler.ss.ca.gov/corpdata/ShowAllList?QueryCorpNumber=C1992801

CT CORPORATION SYSTEM
    818 WEST SEVENTH ST
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90017

Transunion (Trans Union):

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/cgi-bin/business_services/corpone.s?ID=61494634&CTYPE=01

PRENTICE HALL CORPORATION
    33 NORTH LASALLE STREET
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60602-2607

Innovis (Affiliate of CBC Companies Inc.):

Innovis, Inc (C.C.A.)
    Data Management Services
    950 Threadneedle St. Suite 200
    Houston, TX 77079-2903
    (281) 504-2611
    (281) 504-2600

Agent (for CBC):

CSC-LAWYERS INCORPORATING SERVICE