Gold AA Can't be combined...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sam, Sep 4, 2001.

1. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Was rejected to combine my gold AA into platinum select... Not possible to combine (by computer) the affinity card to a non-affinity card.

I told her to give me the Drivers Edge 2% Platinum select card. She did. No card # change..

Can you guess what i'm going to do next month??

:)

2. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

I have a similar plan for my brand new "Silver" AAdvantage card. Convert it to platinum sometime, and then combine it with my Classic MasterCard. Or even convert the Classic to Platinum, and then combine the two platinum cards.

3. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

LOL Sam. Is that all you have to wait, 1 month? Wow.

-Peace, Dave

4. mindylou

mindylou Well-Known Member

Sam, which cards are considered what affinity and non, I was thinking of applying for the gold aa card and upgrading to plat dividend card, does plat div card show limits? can this be done. Thanks Sam for all your help.

mindy

5. poobybear

poobybear Well-Known Member

Mindy-

My fiance had a student plat. select w/ 1300 line, he applied online for the dividend plat. select, and because of a gliche in the computer he was approved for TWO dividend cards w/ 2500 and 3500 lines. He combined the two dividend cards first, then they allowed him to combine the plat. select to the new dividend card - from 1300 to 7300 in one night. I don't really know the benefits of that card, some kind of rebate or cash back - something like that. It can't be worse than Discover.

6. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Mindy, I don't know about the reporting because I have not even received the Platinum Select Dividend card, but today I upgraded the Gold AAdvantage to Platinum Select Dividend - lower APR (i dont know what it is yet), no Annual fee, 2.9% BT, and 1% dividend return. I kept the Silver AAdvantage card for now.

So I know the Gold AA can be upgraded to the Platinum Select Dividend card. I assume because it is considered an affinity card. I did not ask about upgrading the Gold AA to the Platinum Select NON dividend card.

BTW new card, new number, she told me to cut up the Gold card.

-Peace, Dave

7. mindylou

Dave, so you still qualify for a bt when upgrading? they denied me one when i called and asked. humm, very interesting. Thanks Dave and Poobybear for the replies.

mindy

8. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Mindy,
    Actually not sure then...While on the phone with the rep I was looking up the cards that she was telling me I could upgrade to...When she said Platinum Select Dividend, I read her the items listed on the website - "Oh you mean this one? With No annual fee, 1% dividend 2.9% BT"...and she simply agreed so I assumed it was an option I could invoke if I wished after getting the card.

I wanted to call Citi tomorrow and ask them about the specific APR, I will ask them about the BT offer then as well. I will let you know.

-Peace, Dave

9. sam

sam Well-Known Member

you can pretty much upgrade to anything.

An affinity is the Sony or AA card, any of the platinum select models with no affinity-branding is the better deal for interest rate.

Since i have prime+0.9% eventually all my limits will combine down into that card. The standard platinum select is the card you want for the lowest possible interest rate.

Btw, the "dividend" and such cards will probably get you a better BT offer, because they have higher GOTO rates. If you play them right, you can getting a better BT offer , wait for the BT to expire and combine the balances to the lowest interest platinum select standard card. Thats what I'm doing :)

10. mindylou

Okay gang all of that sounds like a game plan to me. I have to wait a little while longer to apply again it hasn't been long enough, got my last approval first week in august, boy waiting is so hard to do. Keep me updated on all outcomes.

mindy