Good news on the AMEX quandry

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Eric, May 8, 2000.

1. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

RE: Good news on the AMEX quan

I am happy to see a person improving their credit history the hard way. Your tips are obviously coming from experience. Keep up the good work.

http://www.creditsense.com

2. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Suppose said pregnant woman was purchasing liquor and wine for a family gathering or party. Or perhaps said pregnant woman was doing some shopping for an elderly neighbor who just happened to smoke or drink. Or perhaps it's just the case that she's buying these perfectly legal products for someone else, but has no intention consuming them herself.

Should she then be subject to some kind of intrusive investigation by overzealous bureaucrats merely because she purchased these legal products?

3. BLJ

BLJ Guest

Please don't take this wrong, but your attitude scares me. So many people think the government should control our actions since we are incapable of controlling them ourselves. The key part of your response is "in this context". The circumstances surrounding an action would never be considered by large scale computer systems looking for specific information. I realize this is not the type of issue for this board, but I just had to respond.

4. Yigal

Yigal Guest

Suppose said pregnant woman was purchasing liquor and wine for a family gathering or party. Or perhaps said pregnant woman was doing some shopping for an elderly neighbor who just happened to smoke or drink. Or perhaps it's just the case that she's buying these perfectly legal products for someone else, but has no intention consuming them herself.
    >>

Well, first of all I am opposed to selective prophobotionism which makes some drugs illegal, yet, oddly enough, the more addictive and damaging ones are legal. In other words, make all drugs legal, or illegalise cigs and booze. Its only fair. Why criminalise taste? Having Coors legal and cocaine llegal is like having black cars legal and red cars a criminal offense, IMHO.

<<
    Should she then be subject to some kind of intrusive investigation by overzealous bureaucrats merely because she purchased these legal products>>>

Why not have someone else purchase them, in that case?

5. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Yigal wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Well, first of all I am opposed to selective prophobotionism which makes some drugs illegal, yet, oddly enough, the more addictive and damaging ones are legal. In other words, make all drugs legal, or illegalise cigs and booze. Its only fair. Why criminalise taste? Having Coors legal and cocaine llegal is like having black cars legal and red cars a criminal offense, IMHO.

While I agree with the complete failure of the so-called "War on Drugs" which has in reality turned out to be the "War on Your Constitutional Rights", this was not the point of the post. The point was that as technology evolves and gets employed in more novel ways, one should always consider the privacy implications of signing up for such 'convenience'. The price of convenience is your personal privacy.

<<
    Should she then be subject to some kind of intrusive investigation by overzealous bureaucrats merely because she purchased these legal products>>>

Why not have someone else purchase them, in that case?

That's exactly the point. Why should she (or anyone else for that matter) have to take such extraordinary measures to avoid such intrusive surveillance? It's really no ones business. You're response is exactly what some pin-headed bureaucrat would say, who thinks that everyone is going to behave badly unless the Government were there to intervene.

6. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

You guys are making me paranoid. Technology Friend or ????? The worst part is me, the ignorant consumer, does not have the time nor energy to search for education in these matters. where are our friendly consumer advocates these days? I wish there was a consumer beware website with all this info on it, then again, it might just scare the hell out of me.........Hmmmm - maybe i'll just pay cash for everything, burn my trash (don't have to use the bath tub in the country hehehe) and well who knows what else. I guess that's the point, I have no idea how to keep my private life, Private

Kelly

7. Mick

Mick Guest

I think they have a black list reason being if you look on their web site it will be listed at the time of application. I think its says something about you will not be issued a new account with them if your proir accounts were not satifactory. also I have a optima secured account with them when I applied I was assured My account would be come unsecured after a year with a good payment history, but they have changed the policy you have to reapply for a regular account. So I have completely wasted my time with american express since they will not convert my account to regular optima and also they do not report to the credit bureaus. But I have an Idea. In 1981 I had an gold american express card with a good history I think Iam going to call them and
    demand they either convert my optima to unsecured or give me back my gold card account I will keep everyone posted on the subject....good luck to everyone.