Good updates!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by author_22, Sep 4, 2001.

1. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

Today I got an updated EX credit report. In addition to the CapOne "account in good standing" (formerly a charge off, obviously negative) I had the following results:

1) 4 inquiries deleted.
    2) 1 medical collection deleted.

Unfortunately the Associates charge off and that damn library fine were verified. Didn't dispute the American Eagle inquiry or the inquiry for Sterling, as I hope AE will give me the card. 2 of the 4 inquiries were from this year.

It is all because of people like you. I never believed I'd get a darn thing changed. Now my mom wants me to help her with her reports.

I am writing the collection agency an offer to settle the debt. I do owe it and since it is $28, I hope they will delete in exchange. I am not admitting I owe it but said I wanted to resolve this ASAP.

If Associates won't budge (they also reported me to TU) then I intend to write them a letter requesting they delete the charge off and allow me to open a new account with the original credit limit. My mom's lawyer friend said he is willing to get involved if needed.

Still waiting on word from TU and EQ. I do know that Juniper wrote me a letter today saying they'd get rid of the EQ inquiry (love PF!). On the other hand, Direct Merchants, Discover, and First Union have all been a$$holes over my inquiry disputes. Bank of America and Risk Management Alternatives (NEVER had a collection from them!) have ignored me.

So since starting my journey the first of August, the following has also happened (brief recap)

Approved for $350 unsecured Orchard. Asked for $150 increase last week, that day they upped me to $750!

Got $500 secured Sterling MC. adding to make it $600 this week.

Approved for $200 Target credit.

Approved for Wachovia checking account (WITH overdraft protection despite EQ), Visa check card, and savings account. No fees because I'm still in college.

Pleading case right now with American Eagle. Trying to get new CapOne account(s). Waiting for results from several retail lenders. Pleading case with Providian. Planning to plead case with Citibank, Express, RadioShack, and Household if EQ results look good. I am almost positive that I am getting 3 deletions and one conversion to positive from them. Leaving me with one stupid library fine and a slew of inquiries.

I don't know about TU. But I'm not applying for anything right now, trying to do without for six months. Applying is a new addiction for me, more so than using the credit cards. I hold a $60 of $750 balance, $225/500 balance, and $81/$200 balance. I am paying off all three this week, and the $500 line should switch to $600 by next week.

Sorry for the ramblings and thanks to all who read it. I just want to share with a little time, patience, and perseverance it is possible.

Steph

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Congrats! Sounds like an excellent credit day for you.

I just tried to ADD overdraft protection to my checking account that I have been with for 20+ years. They want me to fill out 30 pages of forms, bring in a pay stub, my last years tax returns, and my first born child! You know they will pull an inquiry after all that, and I am only asking for $1000.00 overdraft.

One of the questions asked about having no judgements on my report so now I can not submit the application until after I finish cleaning up EQ.

Anyway Great news Steph, keep up the good work and good luck with mom.

-Peace, dave

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SOUNDS LIKE SIMMONS NATIONAL BANK VISA/MC IN ARKANSAS...more questions than on my $60,000 mortgage...AND IT WAS FOR $1,000 MAXIMUM INCREASE!!!

4. author_22

What happened with me was I ended up going into a Wachovia and immediately panicked as I saw a big sign that says they also run EQ.

However, the rep was super nice so I figured I'd fight the fear. A credit report was automatically pulled, but I got everything I wanted and then some.

Wachovia did this with a 608 EQ score. Now, I am a college student so this was all a "package" (fee free as well!) I have only $100 overdraft protection.

Hope it works out for you!

Steph

5. phinneous

phinneous Member

Steph,

I sounds as if you feel you shouldn't be held accountable for your actions. Once you become an adult, I hope you will take things seriously.

6. author_22

Well, I have and do pay debts I owe. some of these accounts were wrongfully reported. So please don't preach at me about my actions. And I am an adult who takes credit VERY seriously.

Steph

7. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Damn, phinneous...take it easy there, we are all here to help not criticize...

---> Zaphod ;')

8. phinneous

phinneous Member

Zaphod,

Unfortunately, it seems people are jumping in line to help everyone do the wrong thing. Why don't we all start telling everyone to do the right thing and own up to our actions?

9. phinneous

phinneous Member

I disagree on the "wrongfully reported". A day late is a day late, all systemically generated and having been in the business almost 10yrs, I have yet to see a delinquency "wrongfully reported". I am not preaching because I am not a preacher, what I am doing is BERATING! I also disagree with your last statement, because your original post to which I replied proved otherwise.

10. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

I see your point, however we have become a society so dependent on ones credit. It has gotten to the point the corporate america, and our own government have drove the people to this point. If the law, meaning the FCRA, wasn't so open ended and consumer friendly then we may not have been in this conversation now. If ones credit now dictates what one has to pay for essential services, meaning mistakes lead to higher prices of services, for issues not even pertaining to credit, this was bound to happen. For example the age old debate on Insurance. Because I have bad credit why do I have to pay twice as much for insurance. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink....

---> Zaphod ;')

11. author_22

You do not know me, so don't make assumptions. I am an adult and a very respected community member who volunteers to help children and earns a lot of awards in my profession. I also am a straight A college senior and president of an honor society.

Yes, I won't lie...I did dispute inquiries. That was not the most honest thing to do, but I did it. However, deleting inquiries hurts no one. So if that's your basis for calling me a non-adult.....

My birthdate was reported wrong for old debts so collectors could stick me with them. I was 16-17 at the time and it was medical bills, my parent's responsibility. Gonna tell me I deserved that?

Steph

12. phinneous

phinneous Member

Because you are a monetary risk. As the saying goes, "money makes the world go 'round". You have to understand that insurance companies are taking a risk on you and your ability to act responsibly. Your credit file is a demonstration of that. If you are a deadbeat then you will pay the higher fees for services because you stand a greater chance of defaulting or causing a large settlement than someone who is responsible. Your losses cause all persons to experience higher rates.

13. phinneous

phinneous Member

14. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

phinneous, type before or after the

15. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

You are so misinformed for someone in the business 10 years it is frightening. I have several friends who work for credit card companies and have firsthand knowledge that something as simple as stapling your check to the payment voucher can cause the creditor to delay posting your payment even if it arrived on time - thus causing a "systematic" late.

You spoke in another thread about responsibility - well that works two ways. If the credit card companies would take more responsibility to properly identify applicants there would be no identity fraud. If the credit card companies would take responsibility for timely posting of payments, mailing statements in a timely manner, updating their systems with address changes etc. there would not be inaccuracies in accounts and/or credit reporting. Before you continue accusing those here you do NOT know, you need to take "responsibility" for some of the problems in your industry.

16. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Hal or anyone else.

This business of "enablement of identity fraud" or "Negligent enablement of identity fraud".
    Where does this come from in law?
    If I remember correctly, I first saw that in one of Lizard King's letters a long time ago and I've seen it a bunch of times since.

I have not really bothered to look it up or question it in any way so I'm completely ignorant on the subject except for what "common sense" tells me is most likely what it's all about.

Can anybody enlighten me on the subject?

17. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Bill -

The first time I saw it was also in LK's letter. I certainly understand the theory of the CRA being a party to "enablement" but can not quote any theory or basis in case law.

18. AJiLE

AJiLE Well-Known Member

Honestly, after reading this thread, I've got to state that I'm slightly outraged. How dare ANYONE pass judgement on anyone else! I'm a deadbeat too I guess. Served honorably in the Marine Corps, got married to someone (older - I was 19 at the time) who was completely financially irresponsible (I wasn't much better), got overwhelmed with MEDICAL BILLS (that's right, your tax dollars only pay 20-80% total of medical bills for military folks), and whammo, instant "deadbeat status". Did I get way over my head with credit card debt? NO. Did I spend irresponsibly? In a few cases, yes. Could I have changed things? YES. HAVE I TAKEN RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY ACTIONS AND PAID MY DEBTS? YES! And yet, now I'm going to be considered a "deadbeat" for the REST OF MY LIFE (according to you, sir (term used loosely)).

Nevermind, not worth wasting any more effort...

A. J.

19. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

Should we all just simply lie down and accept whatever our credit reports says without questioning it? Because, after all, it's automated. BTW, so is California's power grid, and nothing ever goes wrong with that. Is it immoral to request verification and/or validation of a trade line or debt, as is my right under the law? Is it immoral to expect that if
    the creditor fails to meet their obligation to supply that validation, that they have forfeited their right to report this to the credit bureaus and it should be removed? Notice I said nothing about lying, cheating, stealing, ax murder, nothing. Simply exercising some seldom invoked rights.

I guess I'll just stop all my efforts because you (and some computer somewhere) said so.

20. bbauer

bbauer Banned

AJiLE:

You got that right!