"goodwill adjustment letter"

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dino71, May 15, 2002.

1. dino71

dino71 Member

I currently have a First Premier credit card, I've had it for a year and I have only 1 30 day late payment, I have an old account that's due to be on my report until 11-2003 and it was 30 days past due 4 times; 60 days past due 3 times; 90 days past due 2 times I have an account that's due to be removed 6-2005 and I have 3 30 days late and 2 60 day late. I've had them all verified so I was wondering if anyone thinks I can have these removed by sending a "goodwill adjustment letter" to these creditors? I just need some reassurance! Thanks!

2. Svanderwil

Svanderwil Well-Known Member

dino
    As far as the First Premier Card goes it doesn't hurt to try, although I think they like some time since your last late (I'd say at least a year). As far as the others I'm assuming they are all paid, just show up negative because of the lates...I would personally try the nutcase letter. Although I have heard that some people have had success with a goodwill letter, it seems to me the creditor has no motivation to do this for you. The advantage of the goodwill letter is that it would turn the negative accounts into possitive accounts. With the nutcase letter best case is deletion. You may want to try to goodwill and if it doesn't work then the nutcase, but you have to give at least 2 months for each. So if your looking for a more rapid aproach go straight to the nutcase.
    Just my opinion, I'm sure more experienced people will chime in with other opinions.
    scott

3. dino71

dino71 Member

thanks for your response Scott I really appreciate any advice I receive. thanks again!

4. schweb

schweb Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    I just today had success with MBNA removing about 7 late payments from my reports by sending a goodwill letter. I'll copy and paste the letter below...feel free to modify as necessary:

Dear Mr. Lerner:

I have been an MBNA customer since 1995 and during that time, I have enjoyed my experience with MBNA greatly. I am writing to see if you would be willing to make a â??goodwillâ? adjustment to your reporting to the three credit agencies. I have a few late payments on the above referenced accounts that date back to 1998 and 1999. All but 1 of the late payments are 30 day lates. Since that time I have been an exceptional customer paying early every month and have been rewarded by MBNA with ever increasing limits and lower APRs.

Because of my exceptional payment history over the last 3 years, I would like you to consider removing the negative payments from my credit report. At the time of those late payments, I was a full time college student without a job. I say that not to justify why the payments were late, but rather to show that the late payments are not a good indicator of my actual credit worthiness. I hope that MBNA is willing to work with me on erasing these marks from my credit reports.

I have been a very happy customer in the past and hope to continue a long relationship with MBNA. With todayâ??s credit industry so competitive, I know how important it is to maintain good relationships with customers. MBNA has been exceptional in my book so far and I highly recommend it to all my friends and relatives. I hope that you will deeply consider my request and prove once again, why MBNA is heads above the rest. I look forward to your reply.

5. josbo911

josbo911 Member

I just sent the same thing to Americredit to remove (2) 30 day lates from over two years ago. Let's see how nice they are...

6. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Because of my exceptional payment history over the last 3 years,
    schweb |

====================
    Another flaw with the 7 year reporting period

7. josbo911

josbo911 Member

Let's see if they are smart enuff to catch it

8. AJS

AJS New Member

No Goodwill at Chrysler Financial

I am a second time Jeep owner and have only one payment left on a new Jeep Liberty I purchased in 2004. I have called Chrysler Financial several times and asked them if they would make a Goodwill Adjustment to remove one 30 day late from my credit report. Many companies do this on regular basis to try and extend some "Good Will" towards loyal customers who have made a honest mistake. Chrysler Financial refused under any circumstances to remove even one thirty day late off of my credit report. This is their standard policy to not budge one bit. They say that it is fraud and against the truth in lending act to give a Goodwill adjustment. This is a lie. Even if they did interpret the law that they can not change an entry to being on time there is nothing preventing them legally from giving no information on a particular month. Rather than having a 30 day late on a month they can just put down NI or no information which would be a definite improvement on your report. I asked Chrysler specifically it they could do this and they flat out refused. This is a shame because I have been hearing a lot of radio ads for Chrysler (who is teamed up with Chase) claiming to help people with bad credit. They may help you buy a car but they definitely won't help you to clean your credit. So if you have lots of money and never anticipate being late I think Chrysler Financial will work fine for you. However if you feel a little apprehensive in today's financial situation think twice before using Chrysler Financial.

9. MrGreen

MrGreen Well-Known Member

No goodwill at Toyota Motor, either

Me too, though at Toyota. Funny thing is, I've driven nothing but a new Toyota truck for over 10 years now, am presently a few months away from the latest one being paid off, and they're carping about a couple of late payments that happened 6.5 years ago!

Yes, they'll fall off in just 6 months with no intervention.

I was so sure that Toyota would want some of my goodwill since I'm quite obviously in a position of possibly financing another new truck shortly. But, no, they're not interested.

I hear the new Chevy's are pretty nice these days !