Got a GetSmart Visa Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by matty61184, Sep 13, 2001.

1. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

Well, I was approved for the GetSmart Classic (sigh). I wanted the gold one. I got $1,000 credit limit, no annual fee, no processing fee. Could I call them and ask for an upgrade to their Preferred gold or whatever it is. It starts out at $1,000 credit limit anyways. Give me some tips on getting a higher credit limit, lower apr, etc with this company, as I haven't worked with them before. Thanks! And everyone, remember, tomorrow is a National Memorial Day! Honor those who died in these horrible acts, and pray. God Bless you all!

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WIFE AND I GOT A 30 SECOND DENIALS...

DIDN'T WANT TO DISPUTE DENIAL...DON'T NEED TO BE "CITIBANKED"...
    (2 INQUIRES FOR ONE APPLICATION)...

3. matty61184

Anything else I should know about this card?

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

providian is pretty stubborn. Use the cards for several months, and you can get your APR knocked down considerably (given how high they are anyways).

I had a card with them for 9 months. Only get 15.9% apr, no grace. I cancelled it.

Don't waste your money on the smart reader, its useless.

5. Fat Jake

Fat Jake Well-Known Member

I got that card too.

Matty did you get the GRACE?

The website still has information about the grace but when I asked about it as others have they claim that the product cannot be given a grace.

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

providians' paypalcreditcard.com is the same product as the getsmart, but all come with grace, you get can both cards, btw.

7. matty61184

I'll have to check and see if I did. I BETTER get the grace period, or that card will be history!

8. matty61184

I do have the 25 day grace, no annual or processing fee, 23.99% interest rate (DAMN!), and the smart chip. Asked the lady about upgrading cards, and she said they don't do that; I think she's a dumb one. LOL. I also asked about getting my interest rate lowered, and she said they don't do that either. They better do that dammit, because I'll fight like hell for a lower rate after 4-5 months.

9. Saar

Saar Banned

I think it's time we refreshed the list of recommended subprime products.

Providian - out;
    The Associates - in;

Providian's subprime products have always had high fees/APR but they also had high credit limits, regularly increased by Retention. Well now their Retention Dept is powerless and won't offer any increases.

OTOH, The Associates nowadays offer one of the best products in the subprime industry. Though most visitors on this board would choose the high-profile cards, rather than the ones that actually make a good credit decision.

Saar

10. Om

Om Well-Known Member

You say that The Associates is a better subprime card. Being that they are now a Citigroup company, do they follow the same credit guide lines for approval as CITI? I'm not looking for another $1000 subprime but I'm also having trouble getting the good ones, except for CITI right now.

-Om

11. Saar

Saar Banned

Sorry, but I'm not aware of any subprime CC that gives $5,000 limits.

Citibank rep once posted that when considering lower-tier card applications, Citi is employing The Associates' credit approval algorithm.

You could try applying for the Associates Gold Visa. If approved, the minimum credit line would be $2,000.

Saar

12. Om

Om Well-Known Member

That's o.k., I'm not looking for one.

Associates has a Platinum card and I was wondering if they follow CITI's credit guide lines. The reason I ask is that I was able to apply for the CITI Platinum directly and get approved. I think I fall in the middle of the road, not sub prime Orchard/Cross Country, not prime Fleet/AmEx. I'm trying to find some cards that play the middle of the field.

-Om

13. matty61184

So are you saying I should cancel this card and apply for an Associates Card? The funny thing is I carry two platinum cards already with $6000 and $8500 limits. I would think that GetSmart would have at least given me their Gold Card. Also, does anyone know if it is true they don't upgrade cards/lower APR???

14. Saar

Saar Banned

I can't believe you've placed Fleet and Amex in the same category. They don't belong in the same league, and I seriously doubt they play the same ball game.

Absolutely. You've graduated the Providian phase long ago. The APR on my Associates Gold Visa is a fixed 9.49%, even better then the one on my Amex & Citi (though eventually Citi would get even lower). This won't be your initial APR, but you'd be able to negotiate it, just like I have. Good luck.

Saar

15. eman

eman Well-Known Member

I started out with a standard Getsmart (Aria) 7 months ago with a $500 limit and 20.99 APR. They have since upgraded me to gold, raise my limit to $1700, and reduced my APR to 17.49. I do have a grace and they seem to reduce my APR .50 every month (most likely because they have yet to make any money off interest from me). No objections from me.

16. matty61184

I mainly wanted the getsmart card because of the smart chip, etc. So it sounds like they will update my card to gold from classic, and reduce my apr. Sounds like that lady is full of sh%t that told me they don't upgrade or reduce the apr.

17. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I APPLIED FOR THE 0.00% WITH A "GO-TO" 9.99%...BUT WAS DENIED IN 30 SECONDS!!!

18. matty61184

Hmm, didn't they consider you for a gold or classic card? You have good cards, so I think you would be able to be approved for at least something. I was surprised I got the Classic card, as I already carry 2 platinum cards.

19. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

OTOH...

nice!
    at work we use OOTO - out of the office :)
    hope you are well Saar - please be safe. -I know you travel.

my company said no more travel - air or rental or train.

Saar - I hop emy beautiful Golden Gate Bridge
    is not hit.

There are submarines and cost guard surrounding san francisco.

From my lovely view of downtown, I don't want to see anything ever like WTC. But SF is a natural target.

I always liked you Saar and still do :)
    But this "Holy War" will go on strike after strike.
    all of those planes were going to California.

And having submarines and milita and police everywhere is frightening.

We need to tell each other how we feel - and we always figure that is sometime far in the future.

When God says your number is up - it is up - but you go to the next level in complete piece, etc.
    Or, for the pilots of those planes that hit East Coast bldgings, they died immediately and were pre-approved for a horrible next level - however you describe HELL!

I hate driving down the street because if something crashes into our pyramid building or Bank of America, ALL of DOWNTOWN SF will look just like the WTC damage.

cya on the next one - been a bad week for everyone on the planet!

but I know you - you lucky dog getting the AMEX Line of Credit! Another 25 months and all negatives fall off - everything. Then my 11 superb cards now.
    I am counting down.

BUT, I have to say, I am happy I have the AMEX. If something very urgent happens - I know AMEX will let me do $25K. I am certain AMEX has a superbly caring attitude when normally good cardholders are delayed or charge for hotel rooms for extended periods, etc.

We are watching over our internet in High Alert Status and will continue.

later dog

20. matty61184

Who would I ask to speak with when I call the GetSmart customer service in regards to credit limits, interest rates, and upgrading from the classic to gold, etc. Also, how long should I wait after opening the account to upgrade from the classic card, asking for a credit line increase, and asking for an apr lowering? Any and all tips appreciated. Thanks!