Got a target card with no SSN!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by romanduv, Sep 28, 2001.

1. romanduv

romanduv Well-Known Member

My wife just got her target card, but she doesn't have a SSN! They gave her a $500 limit (they only gave me a $300)

I thought these guys only worked with FICO, how could they have approved her?

This is on top of the providian gold offer she got earlier this week. The credit world has gone completely mad...

-Roman

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

What did she put when it asked for SSN? Nothing? 999-99-9999?

3. romanduv

she applied at the store, and put in nothing, or just crossed it out.

We explained to the lady who was handing out the aplications the she doesn't have a SSN, and was told it doesn't matter.

Go figure...

4. brad

brad Well-Known Member

ROMAN,DO YOU REALIZE SHE IS NOT GOING TO GET ANYMORE FREE GIFTS? LOL.

5. romanduv

DOH!

I think that's why they gave it to her. It's her third aplication, and they figured it would be cheaper to just give her the stupid card. ;-)

6. mj

mj Well-Known Member

You don't need a SSN to pull a credit report - you can do it from any existing account number or by name/zip only.

How her credit file will look - and how many she has - may be a problem for her down the line.

Can't they use a tax ID # (don't resident aliens get one if they're authorized to work?)

Best of luck-
    mj

7. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Yes. There are some creditors who give a card without SS$. I know Burdines does, also Amex.

The problem is that the accounts are not reported to the credit bureaus, so they don't build
    any credit history. By the way I had an Amex Optima with no SS# and a $1000 limit. They never increased it in 1 1/2 years. it wasn't reported never.

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Possible they looked up the home address and cross referenced it with your account.