Got my scores and boy mine are

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mom of 3, Oct 16, 2000.

1. Mom of 3

Mom of 3 Guest

Well I was still waiting for my mortgage papers and I emailed my lender and begged for my scores, I couldn't wait so here goes My husband is far better than mine his are 626,660,580 representative score of 626
    Mine on the other hand are far worse
    540,565,540 representative score of 540
    I can't figure out how I got that low, my only guess is too many cards with too high limits, could this have done me in that bad??

I think hubby's highest is from Experian and I would guess the lowest is from Equifax, mine who knows they are kinda all the same
    I am just surprised that mine is that darn low, gosh I need to keep my plan in action, of course the only good thing is that my hubby's income is our true income I only work occasionally now, so I guess if my scores don't get up pretty darn quick we can just do it in his name. But still I am in shock a little.

2. JP

JP Guest

RE: Got my scores and boy mine

Mom

How many inquiries do you have? This could be one of the factors to a low score. Just speculation.

Regards,
    JP

Mom of 3 wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Well I was still waiting for my mortgage papers and I emailed my lender and begged for my scores, I couldn't wait so here goes My husband is far better than mine his are 626,660,580 representative score of 626
    Mine on the other hand are far worse
    540,565,540 representative score of 540
    I can't figure out how I got that low, my only guess is too many cards with too high limits, could this have done me in that bad??

I think hubby's highest is from Experian and I would guess the lowest is from Equifax, mine who knows they are kinda all the same
    I am just surprised that mine is that darn low, gosh I need to keep my plan in action, of course the only good thing is that my hubby's income is our true income I only work occasionally now, so I guess if my scores don't get up pretty darn quick we can just do it in his name. But still I am in shock a little.

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey JP, well I don't have my reports in front of me yet, but I suspect my equifax is 27, 2 in last six months, experien is around 18 or so and tranunion is like 8. I am still baffled by my score I can't believe it is that darn low??????

4. TC

TC Guest

I thought inquiries only counted for 10% of your score, so multiple inquiries could only hurt marginally.

5. JP

JP Guest

Mom

18 months ago, I was in a similar situation as you. My scores were in the 580-600 range. Today they are in the 660-710 range. Some of the things I did were:

1. Eliminate inquiries. I actually sent letters to the creditors asking them to remove the inquiries because I didn't authorize them. I also did the same thing to the cras. While this only resulted in getting 30% of the inquiries removed, some is better than none and it only cost me time and postage.

2. I paid off and closed approximately 12 accounts.

3. Of the accounts I get open, approximately 5, all of the balances are less than 40% of the credit limit.

4. I never apply for any cards unless it is a much better deal than anything I have now, which is tough to beat with Discover, AT&T, Fleet, MBNA and my credit union.

5. I verified every single entry on my credit report and had all incorrect information deleted.

Now keep in mind that of all the accounts I paid off and closed, none of them had late payments on them at any time, but no longer having them open with balances helped. Remember it takes time to to raise your score. Be patient and hang in there.

Regards,
    JP

6. David

David Well-Known Member

Mom of 3-

I'm sure you've said it before, but I don't exactly know what kind of derogatories are on your report. That certainly is impacting the score, regardless of how old they are.

As for the inquiries, I don't think they'd drop a score some 40-60 points, putting you in the 540+ range. As mentioned, they account for only a SMALL margin of the score. Though you must read Fair, Isaac's site carefully. If you have little to compensate for a flood of inquiries, then it will hurt more. Compensation would obviously be low balances, good payment histories, etc.

7. JP

JP Guest

The point of my long drawn out point is pretty simple. While no one thing will increase or decrease a score 40-60 points, a combination of many single things combined will increase ones scores that same 40-60 points. With Mom's time frame, it looks like she has about 9 months to get it all together.

Regards,
    JP

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks JP, I will try to follow in your footsteps:)

9. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

only negative thing is a 30 day late from last year and that is it

10. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Yes but can I do it!!!! Only time will tell, just paid off lowe's and target today, that is a start right?

11. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Have you tried to dispute it?

If you haven't already done so, just dispute the hell out the the 30 day late????