Gulf State and Experian

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by LKH, Aug 24, 2001.

1. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I had a collection listed on experian from gulf state that was supposedly for a cable bill from 10/95.
    The account was sold to OSI and was given to North Shore to collect. I sent a validation to north shore who sent me a letter apologizing an dropping any attempts to collect.
    I then took a copy of that letter to experian and disputed the gulf states entry that was still there. Today I got an email notification from experian (creditexpert) that gulf states verified it. How the hell can they verify an account they have nothing to do with. Now what should I do. I am writing a complaint to my state atty general and given that gave valid written proof to experian through Credit Data Southwest, the local affiliate, I'm done with experian now also. I gave them until the 29th to respond to my letter but I'm filing my lawsuit on them tomorrow.

2. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Hi LKH

I would write Gulf State and let them you Know you are aware that they are not the original creditor nor authorized agent to collect this debt. Inform them that you will report them the the FDCRA.

If I was you... I would report them anyway.... they are known for this and very hard to deal with..!! The Only way to play with Gulf State is with FIRE!!!

Good Luck

MartysGirl

3. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I just filed a complaint with the state banking dep't that handles ca's in Az. Next stop is the ftc online and superior court to file a lawsuit against both gulf states and experian.

4. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Good Luck... and keep me posted!! ;-)

I too HATE Gulf State with a passion! I hope you nuke um!!

MartysGirl

5. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

===Yeah torch em!

6. bbauer

bbauer Banned

While you are at it, drop over to the BBB website and hit them with that one too.

I've been preaching on this board about that for a long time now.

It don't seem to do a lot of good because it takes so long to get any answers out of the BBB, but if enough people will do that, it just might tarnish their sterling record with the BBB a bit and make it so the public will know what rats these people really are. And after all, what is there to lose but a bit of time?

7. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

These idiots also just bought the last charge off I have. I sent them a validation letter that they signed for on August 21st. Today I received a response letter from them.

Dear LKH,
    This letter is in response to your recently received correspondance.
    We have verified your account and forwarded it to our dispute department for processing.
    We will handle your account as expeditiously as possible.

Sincerely,

Portfolio Support Department

I will guarantee you all they will send me is a computer printout. There will be no copies of my signature etc.

8. bbauer

bbauer Banned

LKH:
    Send me an email. We have talked about this exact same situation before and I've definitely found out how to handle these lunkheads and their validations. I'll let you in on it.

9. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

LKH,
    I had this problem too. I wrote a letter to the AG, because Gulf State bought the debt from another CA and had absolutely no info on me. THey didnt even have my correct ss#, but they placed the account on my reports. I got a snotty letter from them (they wrote it to the AG and the AG copied me) saying they would delete the entry, but since I had provided my name and social in my complaint letter, they would re-enter it on my reports with that info. Amazingly, the AG didnt have a problem with this.

Anyhow, that was in June and it hasnt appeared on my reports yet (but I live in fear, they obviously wont contact me before they place it on there.)

There is another poster here who is fighting Gulf State also, email me and I will send you a little info. I think a letter to the AG may just scare them enough to get it off.

10. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Marypc,

I tried to email you, but, your email is not turned on. I would appreciate whatever info you have on these slimeballs. My email is on.
    Thanks

LKH

11. cable666

cable666 Well-Known Member

There is no FDCRA! There is a FCRA, and a FDCPA.

12. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Are you guys ready for this one?! I will tell my story again!

In November of 2000, I receive a letter from Gulf State Credit for a sprint bill. I immediately send a letter to dispute the debt. Well, in December they sold the debt to another Collection Agency.

I sent another letter of dispute to the new collection agency plus another letter reminding Gulf State of my initial dispute.

4 months later no response. I complain to the AG of Pennslyvania. I get a response from them that the second collection agency will remove their notation as they cannot validate the debt.

No I am left with Gulf State Credit. I send a letter to Sprint demanding validation of the debt. They refer me to OSI/Alliled Bonding in Eastern PA.

On my credit report it lists Gulf State Credit in Duluth Georgia. I have ALL of my documentation, Since they refered me to OSI/Allied Bonding in Eastern PA I am going to file another complaint with the AG of PA since they have jurisdiction. It is my hope they will get the tradeline removed. If not.....its off to my local magistrate.

Gulf State: Never acknowledged my dispute letters. They NEVER placed a notation on my credit report that the tradeline was disputed. It is long past the 30 days and they didn't respond. I have a paper trail that I can PROOVE I legally disputed the tradeline.

I wrote the president of Sprint. He referred me to OSI/Allied Bonding. They don't own the debt, Berks Credit & collections owned the debt. Berks to the AG they couldn't validate the debt and removed their notations from my credit reports.

I had a very good raport with my case worker from the Attorney General's office. I am going to fax him what I have and see what he can do. If he can't do anything.....its off to the magistrate. I want 5K, maximum allowed!

13. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Sounds to me like you have things pretty well under control and understand quite well what your legal remedies are concerning these abusive and illegal practices.

Just make sure that when you go to court to file your complaints that you have at least one or more case cites where judges have ruled against such practices in the past for each point that you make. That way you are telling the court that you expect them to rule in the same way that other judges have ruled in similiar circumstances in the past.

Make a point, cite the law relevant to the point you make and then lookup and include references to other court cases if you can find any. Usually it's not all that hard to do if you do have a valid point.