Gulf State Credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by camille, Jun 18, 2001.

1. camille

camille Member

Hello All,

Does anyone have a current address fo phone number for Gulf State? They are on my credit report but the address listed is not right.

Camille

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

So why not dispute the report as incorrect?

You might get lucky and get it off just because it's in error.

If it don't come off that way then go back to them and ask them how they verified it.

3. camille

camille Member

I have tried to dispute it as not mine adn incorrect information. Equifax says they verify electronically but they will not let me speak to the verification team.

camille

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Well, like I have probably said a hundred times on this forum, never talk to them on the telephone. Gotta be a reason the dumb thing goes "ding-a-ling" (LOL)

Send them a certified return receipt requested letter demanding to know the name, company address and company phone number of the person having validated the report.

5. nursie

nursie Well-Known Member

Watch out for Gulf State. They came in to my picture in January '01. They had bought my old Citibank debt (defaulted on that in 96). They also are showing bogus activity in order to keep it a current problem on my reports. I WAS going to send them a payment, but fortunately read about re-aging, etc. They were re-aging an account that had last activity 6 years ago....beyond the 4 year SOL. I then read on another board how they're among the nastiest. So, I sent them a certified letter stating that they had no such debt with me, and to stop the illegal collections immediately and clear my credit report or I'd sue (it's worth $1,000 I think. I'll have to double check that) because it's in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. I just sent them a 10-day notice that I intend to sue. I'm prepared to do just that.
    Be sure you find out the original creditor & check the date of last activity. Gulf State makes their money by buying these old debts & figuring that we don't know our rights. BTW, I assume they don't have my phone # because they haven't called me so I'm not about to call them & give it to them.