Gulf State response to Atty Gen'l

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marypc, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

I sent a complaint to the Atty Gen'l re Gulf State, and the fact that they have placed a collection account on my credit reports for a Sprint account (never had it.) I also sent 2 validation letters, to which they never responded. This, in part, is their response.:

"This letter shall serve as notification that OSI Portfolio Services is the parent company of Gulf State Credit, and that Gulf State Credit is the actual owner of all consumer obligations sought to be collected by Gulf State Credit.

We cannot confirm nor deny any information to Marypc. She is claiming the debt is not hers, yet she is requesting copies of personal and confidential documents. To provide such info to Marypc is a violation of 15 USC 1692, as it would be third party disclosure.

Gulf State reports information to the CRA's by name and social security number. If something is reporting on Marypc's credit report, it is either 1) her ss# we are reporting, or 2) an error on the part of the CRA and not Gulf State Credit. Mary pc has noted that she has sent documentation to substantiate that the account is not hers. However, our record, as well as the letter to your office, indicates that no such proof has been provided.

Although Gulf State Credit originally agreed to close their file as a courtesy to Mary pc, further info seems evident that closing this file merely releases Marypc from her legal, ethical, and moral obligation. Thus the account has been reopened under the original name of Marypc. (AKA Mary Smith)

It is not the error of Gluf State and cannot be corrected by GulfState."

So this is the response to my validation letter and letter to the atty gen'l. I should add that this account was added to my cra with a completely different name than mine, which I was never "known as." I contacted themand they couldnt even look up the account, as they had no info on me at all.

Anyone know of the correct addy to serve court papers on this entity? I want to "live up to my moral and ethical obligations" by taking their lying asses to court.

Sorry this is so long.

2. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

I think I would let a judge sort it out. They did not validate by providing you proof, this is violation of the law.

I think they are trying to intimidate you with this letter - If they can't disclose information to you, then they can't reenter it on your credit report. They are indirectly admitting, they can't prove it is yours, but they are going to enter it in your credit profile anyway.

3. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Hey Mary,

I hope you read this.....email me, I sent a letter to the President of Sprint for my Gulf State problem. The clock is ticking. He signed for it a few weeks ago, after 30 days I am going to my magistrates office.

They couldn't validate my debt either. Under the law it should be removed. It was not. So, in a final attempt to clear the situation I sent the President of Sprint a Certified Return Receipt Letter, and he signed for it. I will let you know what happens. I say finish with him. email me I will send you his address.

4. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Hey Terry!

I would love that address! I know there is a way to e-mail board members, but I cant figure it out..what is your email addy? Thanks

5. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: Hey Terry!

marypc,

That is horrible. I hope you nail them to the wall.

6. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

mary email me at my home address.....I will share with you my letter and the address. ts728@home.com

7. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Good Luck to you Mary..!!

Good luck to you 2 Terry...!!

Keep us posted...

MartysGirl

8. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Thanks you guys. I am calmer now, but man, I was shaking I was so angry. Of all the sanctimonious sneaky lying things...Imagine, they cant send my any proof at all that I owe this debt, but they are going to reenter it on my report, and then imply that I am trying to get out of a moral obligation! I also note that they take every precaution to protect themselves...third party disclosure my A*S.

I've had it. Between them and GMAC slandering me all over town I am ready to go to court tomorrow! I will update regarding what happens.

9. nursie

nursie Well-Known Member

I'm having a huge problem w/ gulfstate also. I'm at the point to file suit, I just haven't figured out which courthouse to do it in. I've heard that gulfstate is among the worst to deal with. What a sarcastic, nonsense letter. That would've sent me thru the roof.

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Amazing!! I hope you have some damages to sue for.

breeze

11. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

An additional point. I would REALLY try to hammer them for as much as possible for defamation of character - The very fact that they, in writing, made an implication to the Attorney General that you were trying to duck your moral and legal obligations is slanderous.